A Midnight Departure from HEL to a Sunset in In the Tropics of Thailand

Last night I flew my 3rd A350 flight, Helsinki, Finland to Krabi, Thailand. Finnair flies this route seasonally and they’re flying it now with they’re A350s. I took off at 4AM Helsinki time Close Enough to Midnight flew into the sunrise, and then landed as the sun was setting only 9 hours later.
Flight time was 9 hours and 2 minutes which is surprising because we took off before sunrise and landed at sunset and because the flight included a massive 96 waypoints and almost 5,000 miles

Flight Details

EHFK-VTSG
Helsinki to Krabi
Finnair A359
9 Hours 2 Minutes

Departing a cloudy winter night in Finland
Flying away from the setting moon The sunrise reflects off the blue Finnair word print The red deserts of Uzbekistan The tall mountains just Northwest of the capital city of Afghanistan Starting to descend toward southern Thailand The lush, green mountains of the Malay Peninsula The fun approach along the mountains toward runway 14 Final Approach toward the 9,500 foot runway Touchdown At last light 40 miles east of Phuket

As always please let me know your favorite photo and please leave comments!

34 Likes

number 3
now thats what i call a shot from the a350 view

6 Likes

Thanks! The A350 + A sunrise never disappoints

1 Like

Outstanding job, I love that photo over Uzbekistan!

1 Like

These are great! The finnair livery looks awesome too!

1 Like

Thank you! :)

1 Like

That moon shot is the best one, nice pics!

2 Likes

Ahh, I believe I flew past you on my way from Delhi to Munich. Nice shots!

1 Like

Great photos here, those mountains though, they’re awesome!

1 Like

It was really different scenery than I’m used to seeing when I fly which was cool!

Thanks! It was my first time ever using the Finnair Livery on any plane and I’m a fan of it too

1 Like

Thanks! Moonshots never disappoint

1 Like

Great pictures I liked it.

1 Like

Fantastic shots, once again very well done! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

You probably did! What was your callsign and when did you fly the route

LH763, around 8:00AM EST. Lufthansa A350.

1 Like

How do you get the moon shot like that?

1 Like

It’s kind of hard to explain so look at this post and if you still don’t understand just let me know

1 Like

I was only awake for the first 30 minutes of the flight and the descent so I was surprised to see those mountains when I went through the replay. And I never knew Afghanistan and Thailand had mountains like that!

1 Like

Thanks! :)

1 Like