A Long Spiky Thing

Hello, IFC,

How are you doing?

I’m doing great, thanks for asking.
Here are some pictures of Alaska in the F18 taken in Solo.
These pictures are cool because in case you didn’t notice, there’s a big spiky wall in them.

Oh my! This thing is huge!

Oh wow, it’s really long!

Let’s have a closer look.

Where does it END?

Ooh Red Bull Racing practice!

This thing goes on forever!

Alaska is still really beautiful though

Thanks for having a look!
See you next time
Robertine

27 Likes

Denver tents 2.0 🧐🧐🧐
How could such madness exist

4 Likes

how the h*ck did you end up there

really cool pictures @Robertine

3 Likes

Thank you :)

1 Like

Ah, yes, the Minecraft far lands

3 Likes

It looks like you encountered the Ice Wall.

1 Like

Oh, and if this is to report an issue, change it to Support

Indeed I have :)

A little bit too creative to be a Support topic 🙃

1 Like

why did you bleep out heck bro 💀

6 Likes

bro I really thought it was a banned word 💀

1 Like

It’s not a bug. Infinite Flight doesn’t have terrain data near the poles.

1 Like

Nothing over like 60° north I belive has not received proper satellite data so it is flat. It’s quite unfortunate tbh because it ruins some beautiful places but it is what it is.

1 Like

lol good one

1 Like

what’s the closest airport to this wall?

1 Like

Not sure if this post is to ask why this is the case, but in case it is or if anyone is wondering that is because there is no polar terrain data in Infinite Flight. This isn’t really a limitation of the simulator but a limitation of the data. To this day one of the best and largest data sets of global terrain data comes from STS-99 with the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM). There are other data sets but they are very expensive and often have their own limitations. The highest inclination orbit the shuttle could reach was I believe 57 degrees off the top of my head and this roughly lines up with the 60 degree cutoff especially when you consider that the instruments collecting data would have been looking outwards a little bit.

If you actually want to go really crazy with this technically you can blame infinite flight’s lack of terrain data above 60 N/S on the failure of an o-ring because of too cold of temperatures on STS 51L the morning of January 28, 1986. Out of all of the horrible consequences of the Challenger disaster an often overlooked one is the cancellation of the program to fly the shuttle out of Vandenberg, if this had happened the shuttle could have been put into a polar orbit and likely would have been for SRTM to get a more complete world map.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

The closest one I’ve found is Seward, Alaska (PAWD)

2 Likes

Until u get to anchorage which is flat but still beautifull

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like