A Lion Air flight (JT610) has crashed into Jakarta Sea shortly after takeoff

The system was not referenced in the manual. If it were most likely the pilots would have been trained for this issue and this crash would likely not have happened.

5 Likes

Continuous, un-trimmable, nose down input is indicative of uncommanded stabaliser movement and is therefore a ‘STAB RUNAWAY’ with the immediate actions of disconnect the stabaliser with the STAB CUTOUT switches on the centre console and maintain current airspeed, thus isolating any inputs into the STAB.

Irrespective of what system is causing the STAB movement this will isolate the STAB at the current angle but still allow the trim wheel and the column to move the STAB trim tabs giving limited pitch control. Hence the necessity to maintain the current airspeed (fixed wing 1/2 density * velocity squared * surface area) any variation in speed will give a pitch aspect.

If Boeing have built an ‘alpha floor’ protection system into an aircraft that previously didn’t have one and haven’t referenced it in either the training manuals or the pilots operating manuals then there are very serious oversight issues here. How were the flight crew expected to deal with something that is going wrong with a system they didn’t even know they had. The stall protection systems in the big Boeings work even when the A/P is disconnected, they have a direct input into the STAB hydraulic actuators!

Never believe that a system has been ‘fully’ fixed when its historic and multiple entried in the Tech Log. Always brief the ‘what - ifs’ as a vast majority of mistakes are made in the ‘startle phase’ of a malfunction. Anything you can do to mitigate that is going to be a help.

Very, very sad.

9 Likes

64 people are still yet to be found as of 3 days ago.

6 Likes

The Cockpit Voice Recorder of JT610 has been found

Finally Indonesian Authorities will be able to have some sort of insite of what happened inside the cockpit in the final moments

20 Likes

Hopefully this can give more insights of what was going on in the cockpit during the fatal flight 🙏

3 Likes

Following the crash of Ethiopian Airlines flight 302, Indonesia’s Ombudsman demands Indonesia’s 737MAX-8 operators to ground their all of their 737 MAX8s. This will affect Lion Air (10) and Garuda Indonesia (1) as the current operators of 737 MAX-8

4 Likes

This reminds me of the problems the 787 had when they first came out, and an almost immediate grounding shortly after a string of incidents occurred with the battery.

2 Likes

I wonder how many people were about to board a 737Max and saw that on the news, I wonder if some just didn’t get on the aircraft…

1 Like

I think at the moment, it won’t affect them that much

Recently, there’s a decline of passenger numbers in Indonesia due to Garuda Indonesia and Lion Air’s decision to rise the ticket price with 200% or 300% rise which resulted in less flight frequencies and more spare planes on ground. These “free” planes will easily substitute these MAXes until the grounding is over

3 Likes

Most passengers don’t really know or understand their aircraft they are about to fly on some dont even know the name or company that makes them which is understandable. For the people that did i dont think it was a good feeling

1 Like

It’s hilarious tho, every time the radio news is on and this subject comes up in the news, the majority of the topic (This 737Max crash) isn’t even talked about and all that’s being said is that ‘Qantas hasn’t got any 737Max’s’. But apparently Virgin Australia are getting some in a few years and they aren’t mentioning that on the news 🤷‍♂️

3 Likes

Yeah but no 787 crashes

2 Likes

Makes you wonder why this aircraft didn’t get grounded then

2 Likes

The Ministry of Transportation of Indonesia has officially announced that they will perform safety checks thus grounding all Lion Air and Garuda’s 737-MAX8. Lion Air will be the biggest victim in this grounding

Posted in here as I find this topic is the most suitable for this news
1 Like

Gol has grounded all eight 737 Max too.

1 Like

@Mavic This incident happened on the flight you saw the night before JT610. Fortunately another pilot (who was a passenger at that time) took control and saved the aircraft from the deadly dive. But unfortunately the incident happened again on the next day and it wasn’t as fortunate as the previous one

7 Likes

Wow, really the pilot should have said something immediately to Lion Air, that is very interesting @George, thank you for linking me the article 👍 have you been on a Lion Air Flight before. I was in Bali when that one missed the runway on the ocean end. Just wondering if you have had a bad experience with Lion Air, since you live in Singapore.

2 Likes

Yes, I have thrice. I used LNI on CGK-MES (Old airport, not the current KNO)-CGK and CGK-SUB. It was an average experience but worth with the money (The seats are average like other LCCs but slightly better legroom, but fortunately on my cases, I didn’t experience any severe delays. Only around an hour of delay max). But I haven’t tried their 737MAX yet. Don’t expect too much ;)

But I have boarded GA 737MAX before and it was nice.

Just want to clarify, I’m an Indonesian. I live in Jakarta, just several kms from the crash site :(

P.S : I would love to leave a like but I’m running out of likes now :(

1 Like

Oh, sorry I always assumed you lived in Singapore. Yeah, well I just remember being told be some Indonesian friends that it wasn’t their best airline experience, that’s all. I can still remember to this day how bad the runway was in Bandung 😆 have you landed there?

1 Like

Unfortunately I haven’t been to Bandung’s airport yet. I always take a car to there as it only takes 3 hours of car journey from Jakarta ;)

1 Like