A Lion Air flight (JT610) has crashed into Jakarta Sea shortly after takeoff

For similar accident involving another 737MAX registered as ET-AVJ (Operating ET302), you can click here for more informations

Lion Air flight (JT610) has crashed into Jakarta Sea minutes after takeoff

October 28, 2018 11:33 PM

Credits to BBC

Summary

JT610 was minutes after takeoff inbound to Pangkal Pinang from Jakarta. JT610 was carrying 189 passengers when the flight disappeared 13 minutes after taking off from Jakarta. Currently Indonesia SAR team is patrolling around the location and debris recovery is ongoing

Timeline of the Incident

• October 28, 2018 11:20 PM - JT610 took off from Jakarta Soekarno Hatta International Airport (WIII/CGK)
  • October 28, 2018 11:22 PM - JT610 requested to return back to base (RTB) and reported mechanical failures. JATC immediately issued vectors to Jakarta’s Halim Perdanakusuma Airport (WIHH/HLP).
  • October 28, 2018 11:33 PM - JT610 lost contact with Jakarta Air Traffic Controller. The plane was last tracked flying at 2,500ft with descend rate of -35000fpm
  • October 28, 2018 11:50 PM - JATC (Jakarta Air Traffic Controller) contacted Lion Air Officials regarding the fate of the flight
  • October 29, 2018 12:20 AM - JT610 is scheduled to arrive at Pangkal Pinang Airport (WIPK/PGK)
  • October 29, 2018 2:00 AM - JT610 is declared missing by local authorities
  • October 29, 2018 3:00 AM - Indonesian SAR Team held a press conference. Explaining the details and have confirmed that the flight has crashed

Aircraft details

Last tracked location

5°49′19.56″S107°7′16.68″E (Heading 40º Northeast)

• 11 Nautical Miles from Karawang, West Java

Manifest

189 passengers and crew on board

• 178 Adults (124 Men + 54 Women)
  • 1 Child
  • 2 Infants
  • 2 Pilots
  • 6 Flight attendants

See Also

80 Likes

Hopefully There are survivors, the aircraft was pretty fresh from the factory too …

24 Likes

I pray and hope that everyone is fine onboard.

Aircraft: Boeing 737 MAX 8

28 Likes

I hope everything is okay. I just replayed the flight on FR24 and the altitude was all over the place.

13 Likes

Please not another accident…
we’ve had enough as is

16 Likes

A MAX?! Geeze.

30 Likes

The speed was fairly constant but the altitude kept going up and down…

I really wonder what happened and I hope everyone is okay.

17 Likes

Praying nothing bad happened and the pilots simply made an error before resuming and didn’t notice they’d lost contact…I know it’s far fetched but better than the ultimate finale.

4 Likes

Alright all - Let’s not play NTSB or speculate too deeply into it

36 Likes

Please don’t let this turn into a MH370 investigation again. Let’s hope it isn’t like that also

21 Likes

“It has been confirmed that it has crashed,” Yusuf Latif, said a spokesman for Lion Air. “The Search and Rescue Team is at the scene” said another official.

Another news agency stated that “the airline has not made a statement on casualties”.

Sadly this is not looking good so far. Prayers

25 Likes

Wow, that 737max hasn’t really flown all the match and now it won’t be able to again. Prayers go to those on the flight

10 Likes

I hope there are survivors. 🙏🏾

5 Likes

Ohh a MAX 8 ohh that’s going to hurt orders. But more Inportantly the people on board ill be pray everyone is safe

5 Likes

I don’t think it would be a fault in the aircraft design. Considering it is really new, I would say it would most likely be an error in the maintenance, or pilot error

13 Likes

I agree but passengers see this and then they’ll get scared to travel on the aircraft and then the Airlines will stop orders on the Aircraft. But yeah I could have bee anything. That’s why airlines stop ordering the Dreamliner when the batteries exploded and turned to the A350

5 Likes

Yeah, but that has happened to the 737 many times before, and obviously orders ain’t slowing down. Plus 99.99% of passengers don’t care about the aircraft in this age

8 Likes

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2018/10/29/lion-air-crash-tugboat-crew-in-karawang-see-debris-of-plane

Debris has officially been spotted.

11 Likes

Prayers go out to all those that might be affected

4 Likes

Won’t hurt them but the company probably

7 Likes