A Hong Kong Sunrise to a Blue Sky Flying the Canarsie Approach

HONG KONG to NEW YORK - JFK
A few days ago I flew what I consider to be a “classic flight”, Hong Kong to New York. I think if classic flights as your very famous flights between 2 major cities. Like New York to London, London to Dubai and Los Angeles to New York. Cathay Pacific flies this route in real life with their Boeing 77Ws (777-300ER) and I was able to fly it as a codeshare route, being a part of @AmericanVirtual. I was lucky enough to to get to fly the Canarsie Approach into JFK for the first time and I had A LOT of fun doing it, and I finished it off with Butter as an added bonus. Flight time was 14 hours 9 minutes.

Flight Details

VHHH-KJFK • HKG-JFK
Hong Kong to New York
Cathay 840 Heavy
Boeing 777-300ER (77W)
14:09
@JulianB

Rotating out of Hong Kong as the sun rises Putting the gear up as we blast up to our initial altitude of 29,000 feet Climbing out over downtown Hong Kong The mountains of Taiwan as we fly above Toufen City Cruising above the Aleutian Islands of Alaska in the Winter Daylight over the island of Semisopochnoi After a sunset over Central Alaska and Darkness over Canada the sun starts to rise as we fly over the U.S. Canadian border just north of Minnesota Descending over Long Island as we fly toward New Jersey before turning North for the Canarsie Approach Putting the gear down as we fly over the Belt Parkway The famous turn to align with runway 13L as a Finnair A350 sits at the gate after its inbound flight from Helsinki Touching down in New York on a Cool, Presidents Day morning!

As always please let me know your thoughts and your favorite photo

Semisopochnoi Island (Shown in Picture 5) is the ___________ Point in the United States?

• Northernmost
  • Westernmost
  • Easternmost
  • Southernmost

0 voters

The answer to yesterday’s question was 1,815 feet which 71% of people got right!

I’LL SEE YOU GUYS TOMORROW!

38 Likes

Beautiful as always.

2 Likes

Thanks as always! :)

1 Like

What else can I expect of this guy? You keep topping yourself every day!

1 Like

What is it with you and very dark sunsets😂 I always give the same feedback about literally the same thing every time. It’s nice, but a bit dark (red mostly)

Great pics otherwise :)

1 Like

Awesome pictures buddy.

This is definitely my favourite shot, it looks almost real.

1 Like

Wow! “Kennedy Tower we are fully visible with the field”. Looks fantastic!

The B777 also always looks really committed to her mission of safely flying around the world! ;).

Thanks for sharing!

Some stunning outside shots in the topic as well:

1 Like

@Sashaz55 Haha I’ll try to keep them coming and looking good! Thanks a lot 😊

@Infinite_Qantas I definitely to step up my sunrise/sunset editing game 😂 but in a different note, the photo looks a lot brighter in my camera roll so I guess I have to take that into account

Thanks! @Vinne my goal with that angle is to look realistic so I’m happy it did :)

2 Likes

I’ve never flown into JFK but the view must be awesome, the marshes of Long Island, seeing the airport, and downtown Manhattan. Especially with the Canarsie approach. It’s definitely an approach I will fly again. It was a lot of fun. And I didn’t think I would see any of the Aleutian Islands because of how much darkness there is in the winter but I guess I got lucky!

1 Like

Me neither, but I think so too!

1 Like

Nice shots Noah! What editor do you use? Are these filters or do you manually edit them?

1 Like

Judging from the style, I think he used Snapseed and threw a filter over it.

2 Likes

Lovely shots as always mate, I like how you’re exploring the world and always have a different aircraft every time.

1 Like

It surely looks brighter than your Qatar one, that’s a good thing 😄
Keep it up

1 Like

@BravoCharlie and @Vinne I use the Apple default photo editor and then use Snapseed for final edits and text

1 Like

Thanks! @Qantas094 I try to keep things different so my posts aren’t redundant! That’s why although I flew Auckland to Chicago more than a month ago I only posted it this week! I had a lot of 787 posts and I needed variety

1 Like

Awesome pics! I like the one with the view of Long Island (my home ☺️) and the Finnair 350 coming over the belt pkwy…I can say that I have done the Canarsie approach in real life…it’s not as fun as flying it yourself, though!

1 Like

Amazing photos! I love sunset picture really nice!

1 Like

I really want it fly it, so you’re lucky! And that’s my favorite picture too

1 Like

Thanks! Sunrises and sunsets are always awesome

1 Like