A Heart for Lewiston

Aircraft: TBM 930
Livery: Charcoal
Airport of Departure: Auburn-Lewiston Municipal Airport (KLEW)
Airport of Arrival: Auburn-Lewiston Municipal Airport (KLEW)
Flight Time: 32 minutes
Server: Expert

After last night’s devastating attack in the small town of Lewiston, in Central Maine, just a 45 minute drive from the state’s largest city, Portland, I decided to make a tribute to the 18 killed and “50-60” injured (CNN) by drawing a heart in the sky above the afflicted town.

The rather janky looking heart above Maine (the TBM doesn’t take turns too well).

As I banked pass the city of Lewiston just seconds after takeoff, I couldn’t help but think of the hundreds of local and state police officers, as well as federal law enforcement agents (like from the ATF and FBI) combing the woods below for the suspect.

Did you know Maine has mountains?

Pilot’s eye view.

Coming in on final back at the same airport.

I was monitoring the plane very closely the entire time I was doing this. During the turns, I slowed down to about 120 knots, so they would be a little smoother and the autopilot wouldn’t get all screwed up. In hindsight, I should have just used headings the entire way. The lines could have looked smoother.

Later in the afternoon, I was doing a medical flight “turn” from Boston, to bring “patients” to a bigger hospital in the city for better treatment.

My heart goes out to all those affected.

13 Likes

Very nice tribute. It’s very sad what has happened. I hope we as a country can find a way to stop these acts of violence.

6 Likes

When I was 15, (35 years ago), my first cross country solo flight required for my PPL had brought me to this airport. The wings of the Cessna 152 barely cleared the height of the snow banks. I can remember that they treated me like a king when I got there.

3 Likes

Wow. What a unique experience! I hear Mainers are extremely kind people.

1 Like

Hey, I just wanted to say that what you did was really sweet. Putting a heart in the sky above the town is such a touching tribute, and I’m sure it means a lot to the folks in Lewiston. It’s awesome to see people using their skills to do something positive in the wake of tragedy. My heart goes out to all those affected by this terrible event. :)

2 Likes

Thats a weird looking heart

2 Likes

Amazing tribute ❤️❤️
Let this be a message to the state of Maine, that there are 1000s of airplane nerds giving them the best of wishes far and wide 🙏🙏

4 Likes

W mort for this, just saying c172 is better tho

3 Likes

Very nice contribute fr.

1 Like