A Guide to Raliegh-Durham International Airport - KRDU!

Raliegh-Durham International Airport

Raliegh-Durham International Airport is the main airport serving the Research Triangle. With several international flights and a huge domestic presence, this airport is a hub in its own right. This airport has some complicating procedures, so thanks for stopping by!

Image from FlightAware

Terminal/Concourse Layout

Terminal I
Terminal I is one single concourse setup (the A gates), with Southwest Airlines being the only occupier. This terminal has no widebody gates.

Terminal II

Terminal II is divided into two concourses - Concourse C, which features American Airlines/Delta Air Lines’ lounges and their international flights alongside a few other carriers; and Concourse D, which features JetBlue, United Airlines, and Air Canada alongside a few other carriers.

GA Terminals

The main GA terminals are on the northwest end of the airport, in a wing near the FedEx terminal. The NC National Guard has a dedicated terminal on the southeast end of the airport at the end of runway 14/32.

Cargo Terminals

The cargo terminals are located on the northwest and southwest sides of the airport, and hold FedEx and UPS services.

Runways

5L/23R

This runway is used for most departures and landings related to Terminal II. Some Terminal I aircraft may land or depart here, but it is primarily for the west gates. This runway has recently witnessed plenty of construction to cater to larger jets, leading to further use of Runway 5R/23L.

5R/23L

This runway is primarily used by GA aircraft and Southwest Airlines aircraft departing and arriving on the east end of the airport, but has been used much more frequently with the construction on Runway 5L/23R . Much shorter than Runway 5L/23R, this runway caters to less aircraft than the latter runway.

14/32

Perpendicular to the 5/23 runways, this runway is used only by GA aircraft. As stated on some charts related to the airport, this runway is too short for turbojet and turbofan aircraft.

SIDs/STARs

SIDs

Most departures from KRDU either depart straight out and expect vectors or make a steep climbing turn out immediately after departure. They will then receive vectors to the following SIDs:

Northeast: BEXGO4/OXFRD4
East: HURIC4
South: PACK9/HOOKZ4/ROZBO4
West: SHPRD4
Northwest: LWOOD4
The RDU1 SID is also used for departures at times.

STARs

As with several airports of its size, this airport contains RNAV STAR charts and vector STAR charts (which require vectors towards the end of the route to splice onto approach charts). I would recommend using the RNAV charts into RNAV/RNP approaches, as they tend to link together.

RNAV STARs:
Northeast:TAQLE1
Southeast: BLOGS3
Southwest: MALNR5
Northwest: ALDAN3

Vector STARs:
Southeast: BRADE6
Southwest: BUZZY1

The 5/23’s have ILS approaches on each end - but 5R also has SA CAT II and 23R also has CAT III ILS available for use. The 5’s/23’s also have RNAV (GPS) and RNP approaches available for use. Runway 32 is used either visually or with a sole RNAV (GPS) chart.

I hope you learned something from this wiki. Anybody from the RDU area, if you notice anything wrong with this wiki and are Regular rank - you are authorized to change it as needed. Thank you and enjoy your day!

I have visited KRDU several times (Terminal I) and can say it’s a great airport and is a must-go-to once in your life!

6 Likes

Great guide, but it is too short for turbofan aircraft too, not only turbojet. Thanks!

1 Like

Glad to see this finally done. Also, 5R/23L is being used more and more for departures and arrivals from both terminals due to occasional 5L/23R closures.

1 Like