A Guide to Los Angeles International Airport (KLAX)

The Ultimate Guide to Los Angeles International Airport

Considered by many to be the most active airport in Infinite Flight, Los Angeles International Airport, or LAX, is one of the largest airports in the world. Featuring nine terminals, four runways, and extensive cargo facilities, there’s no wonder why it has earned the recognition of being a global hub in the real world as well as across all three servers within Infinite Flight. In this tutorial, I’ll cover everything you’ll need to know when flying into this megahub.

Image Retrieved from discoverlosangeles.com

Terminals

Los Angeles LAX Airport Terminal Map

Image Retrieved from iFly.com

Terminal 1

Terminal 1 is used solely by Southwest Airlines and their LAX base. For pilots that like simulating retro routes, this terminal was previously used by AirTran, Pacific Southwest Airways, America West Airways, and US Airways.

Terminal 2

Delta’s Los Angeles base calls Terminal 2 home, along with several foreign carriers, including Aer Lingus, Aeromexico, Virgin Atlantic, and WestJet. Former tenants include Northwest and Pan Am.

Terminal 3 (CLOSED)

Terminal 3 is also part of Delta’s LAX base; however, this terminal has been closed for demolition and will not reopen until mid-2022 at the earliest. When it does reopen, Delta will split their flights between Terminals 2 and 3, and they will be linked. Virgin America and TWA were two former airlines that operated out of T3.

Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT)

By far the most significant terminal at LAX, the Tom Bradley International Airport is called home by a whopping 29 airlines, listed in the chart below. When there is overflow, the West Remote Stands (West Remote Stand 210 to West Remote Stand 218 in IF) are used as an extension for this terminal. However, this will change when the Midfield Concourse opens.

Airline Aircraft
Aeroflot 777-300ER
Air France 777-200ER, 777-300ER
Air China 787-9
Air New Zealand 777-300ER, 787-9
Air Tahiti Nui 787-9
Alitalia 777-200ER
All Nippon Airways 777-300ER (Sub 787-10?)
Asiana Airlines A350, A380
Avianca 787-8, A320, A321
British Airways 777-300ER, A380, 787
Cathay Pacific 777-300ER
China Airlines 777-300ER, A350
China Eastern A350
China Southern A380 (Sub 787-8?)
Copa Airlines 737-800
El Al 787
Emirates 777-300ER, A380
Etihad 777-300ER
EVA Air 777-300ER
Fiji Airways A350
Finnair A350
Hainan Airlines 787
Iberia A330 (Sub A350?)
Japan Airlines 777-300ER, 787-9
KLM 777-200ER, 777-300ER
Korean Air 777-300ER (Sub 777-200ER?)
LATAM 787
LOT Polish Airlines 787-8
Lufthansa A350, 747-8, A380
Norwegian 787-9
Philippine Airlines 777-300ER
Qantas 787-9, A380
Qatar Airways 777-300ER, A350
Saudia 777-300ER
Scandinavian Airlines A350
Sichuan Airlines No In-Game Livery
Singapore Airlines A350, 777-300ER
SWISS 777-300ER
Turkish Airlines 777-300ER
Xiamen Airlines 787-8

Terminal 4

Terminal 4 is solely used by American, with some flights departing at TBIT on occasion.

Terminal 5

Terminal 5 is used occasionally by American for limited service from narrowbody aircraft only. It is also the main operating base for jetBlue’s Los Angeles hub, as well as the home for Allegiant, Frontier, Hawaiian, Spirit, and Sun Country.

Terminal 6

Alaska Airlines’ significant presence in Los Angeles is housed in Terminal 6, alongside Air Canada and VivaAerobus. Former tenants include a dominant presence of Continental, as well as short stint with Virgin America prior to their merger with Alaska.

Terminal 7

Terminal 7 is home to United’s Los Angeles hub, the sole occupant of the terminal.

Terminal 8

Terminal 8 is home to United Express flights and a limited amount of mainline flights. The largest aircraft you’ll see at this terminal is a 737, with the majority of aircraft being CRJs and ERJs.

American Eagle Regional Terminal (Eagle’s Nest)

Fittingly named after American Eagle, the Eagle’s Nest is a satellite terminal accessible via a bus ride from Terminal 5, and it is home to all American Eagle services.

Cargo

Really self-explanatory, FedEx uses the FedEx ramps for their hub. The Imperial Cargo Apron is used mostly for airlines’ cargo affiliates (Lufthansa Cargo, EVA Air Cargo, Qatar Cargo), while the the Southwest Aprons are mostly for charter airlines (Atlas Air, Kalitta, Crystal). FBOs are located at the far end of the south ramp.

Runways

LAX features four runways and three standard runway configurations. All runways are able to be used by all aircraft types, and they all are equipped an Instrument Landing System (ILS).

Runway 24R/06L

Used only for landings, it is the shortest of the runways. The 24R approach is the famous approach that flies right over In-N-Out.

Runway 24L/06R

Typically only used for departures, but can be used for landings while the adjacent 24R/06L is under construction.

Runway 25R/07L

Typically only used for departure. Longest runway at the airport.

Runway 25L/07R

Used for south complex arrivals and south ramp departures. Widest runway at the airport.

Runway Configuration 1: Standard

This is the configuration that LAX will use almost all the time, with 24R and 25L for landings and 24L, 25R, and 25L for departures.

Runway Configuration 2: Reverse Operations

When winds are favoring reverse operations, the exact same configuration will be used from the other side, with 06L and 07R for landings and 06R, 07L, and 07R for landings. Used less frequently.

Runway Configuration 3: Overnight Overwater Operations

This configuration is used every night from 2200 to 0600 PST every night, with 06L and 06R for landing and 25R and 25L for departure. This is for noise abatement reasons over Los Angeles County and surrounding regions.

That’s all you need to know about KLAX, I didn’t include instrument procedures just to simplify it all, but if you’d like more information about those, please don’t hesitate to send me a PM. Thanks for reading!

63 Likes

Your logic is flawed…at least on CS

Great job! Can tell you put a good amount of time into this!

2 Likes

Also an A320/321 :)

Philippine Airlines also fly the A350-900 to KLAX, nice guide!

Much needed guide! Very well done.

Thank you for the information very useful 👍🏻

Sub 777-200ER as well, they’ve flown to LAX a few times

Do you know what these things with a jetbridge are? It seems weird to go through a tiny building to board through a jetbridge when they could instead just use stairs.

Oh no Darth vador has taken over a cargo ramp.

Anyway great article and merry Christmas. Hope this gets out the the TS trolls

Those are the west remote stands. International flights regularly park here; domestic rarely do. Most of the flights that load and depart from the remote gates occur around noon and midnight, and tend to be transpacific flights. Most of the aircraft on this side of the LAX are there in storage, usually waiting on a layover. Most aircraft especially International flights aren’t allowed to remain idle in peak times, therefore the stands play a crucial role. Pre Covid, AirChina operated a flight from Beijing that landed in the afternoon, and the return wouldn’t occur till 1 am the next day. That is way too long for an aircraft to block gate space, so it is unloaded, and towed to the remote gates for space and maximum efficiency.

Uh you forgot my favorite international airline. British Airways …

You missed the Lufthansa A380! 🤓

swiss airlines B777-300ER is not on it

Me when I don’t see the Austrian 777-200ER on the list:

2 Likes

January 2021 Closures and Updates:

• Gate 12A reopening
  • Gates 21, 21A, 134, 53A, and 61 are closed

Full details: LAWA Official Site | News Release | Jan. 4, 2021

2 Likes

They also use the LR I believe

Please, for the love of Marc’s chocolate, chillax with the corrections for the airlines and aircraft I provided. It’s not really necessary, and considering all the changes and swaps that have been going on with the pandemic, it’s really hard to keep track of everything, let alone satisfying each and every one of your requests on this thread.

1 Like

You DARE oppose me?
Anyway Thas understandable

If you’re basing this off of the real world changes and construction projects going on at LAX, I think Eagle’s Nest needs to be updated because AA closed operations out of the terminal last year. They’ve relocated all Eagle flights to Terminal 5.

I’m not 100% sure if this is a permanent relocation (I’ve heard it is) but AA was planning to eventually leave Eagle’s Nest because of some lease agreement with LAWA.

Slight little bump for tomorrow, hope to see y’all in SoCal tomorrow.