A Guide to Dubai International Airport (OMDB)

Hello! Dubai International Airport is one of the world's busiest airports and was the world's busiest airport for some years recently. As such, it translates into being a busy airport in Infinite Flight as well. However, I have seen several users use the wrong runways, park at the wrong gates and use liveries of airlines which do not operate from the airport. This topic is meant to be a guide for navigating an airport moving almost 90 million passengers annually.

Airfield Information

ICAO code: OMDB
IATA code: DXB
Serves: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hub for:

• Emirates
  • flydubai
  • FedEx Express

Runways:

Runway Length (m / ft) Surface
30L/12R 4,000 / 13,123 Asphalt
30R/12L 4,450 / 14,600 Asphalt

Airport Chart:

8cef4e0af1e9606539f30f0c991e2c90c484a1e8_2_694x600

Runway Information

NOTE: the following guidelines are to be followed only in the absence of IFATC. Controllers are allowed to use any runway they desire to ensure a smooth flow of traffic.

Runway 30L/12R

• This is the longest runway available in the airport.
  • The actual runway length is 3,735 metres due to the presence of a displaced threshold 715 metres long. This brings the total length of the runway to 4,450 metres.
  • It is made of asphalt and has a hard surface.
  • In real life, 30L is only used for landings, while 12R is only used for takeoffs.

Runway 30R/12L

• This is the other runway available in the airport.
  • The actual runway length is 3,600 metres due to the presence of a displaced threshold 400 metres long. This brings the total length of the runway to 4,000 metres.
  • It is made of asphalt and has a hard surface.
  • In real life, 30R is only used for takeoffs, while 12L is only used for landings.

Once again, I would like to state that 30L is only used for landings while 30R is only used for takeoffs, and 12L is only used for landings while 12R is only used for takeoffs. However, please keep in mind some exceptions are made during very high traffic to maintain a smooth flow, although this occurs very rarely. I would like to note that just because a few exceptions are made does not mean that pilots in Infinite Flight continue to use them the wrong way when there is little to moderate traffic when trying to maintain realism (which is pretty much the motto of the expert server).

Terminal Information

Terminal 1

• Also known as Concourse C and the Sheikh Rashid Terminal
  • This terminal was opened in 2000
  • Emirates is the only carrier that operates out of this terminal
  • Houses 22 gates from F13 to F02 and B12 to B01. Inside the terminal, these are all designated as C gates (C1 - C22)

Terminal 2

• This terminal is located in the northern part of the airport
  • It was opened in 1998
  • flydubai is the only carrier that operates out of this terminal
  • Houses 15 gates from E14 to E29. Inside the terminal, these are all designated as F gates (F1 - F15)

Terminal 3

• Also known as Concourse B
  • This terminal was opened in 2008
  • Houses 24 gates from B14 to B27 and F27 to F17. Inside the terminal, these are all designated as B gates (B1 - B24)

Concourse A

• This terminal was specially built to accommodate the A380.
  • This terminal was opened in 2008
  • Houses 20 gates from D01 to D10 and A10 to A01. Inside the terminal, these are all designated as A gates (A1 - A20)

Concourse D

• This terminal was specially built to cater to international traffic.
  • This terminal was opened in 2016
  • Every carrier other than Emirates and flydubai operates out of this terminal.
  • Houses 16 gates from C64 to C48. Inside the terminal, these are all designated as D gates (D1 - D16)

An Important Note

Please note that Qatar Airways, Etihad Airways and AirArabia do not operate to or from Dubai International Airport. It is highly unrealistic and unprofessional to do so, especially if you fly a Qatar Airways flight into Dubai, as most of the GCC countries (including the UAE) have cut off all ties with Qatar.

And that wraps up the guide! I hope everyone who went through it learnt something new about Dubai International Airport, and I hope I was successful in trying to educate people who were not clear with the gates and usage of runways here as well as using the liveries of airlines which do not operate to or from the airport :)

Stay safe, and happy flying!

16 Likes

But people still take off from that runway πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1 Like

IRL, yes, exceptions are given when controlling high volumes of traffic, but this is very rare.

In Infinite Flight, it’s a whole another story πŸ˜‚

I can’t thank you enough, this kind of information is hard to get in such a compiled way

I love flying to Dubai from time to time and I often did the error of using the wrong runway :/

1 Like

No worries, and we are all here to learn from our mistakes :)

Stay safe!

1 Like