A guide for a better flow at LEPA

Hey there folks and aviation enthusiasts!

Seems that tomorrow we have a featured event across the Balearic Islands and Europe!
The events hub is gonna be LEPA, and we expect it to be very very packed, so today I bring here a guide for better flow:

A guide for Palma de Mallorca airport

Runway configuration

Well, from what should I start? Let’s talk about runway configuration: currently, LEPA has a preferential configuration for the East runways (24L and R) Actually, in real life, most arrivals are fitted into 24L while most departures being sent to 24R, but this technique does not work especially well with traffic, so most probably ATC will keep the flow for arrivals and departures to both runways.

Reading the current TAF for LEPA seems that the wind direction will be favourable to the West runways (06L and R) but I highly recommend and encourage to not use that runway configuration unless there is more than 10kts of a tailwind component, due to the fact that the HSE (High-Speed Exits) are made to face 24s, not 06s, causing turn from 90 to 120º degrees, subsequently reducing the speed of the exit, more time aircraft will stay on the runway and more separation needed between Arrivals.

Runway Exits

Talking about runway exits, Palma de Mallorca Airport has a helpful layout for runways 24R and 24L.

Below I created a table with the runway exits that their use implies a better flow and a quicker exit from the runway

Runways Recommended exits Optional exits
24L S1 & S2 H8
24R N4 N5 & N6
- - -
06L N2 & N3
06R H9 & H10 S1

Here I upload pictures of each configuration that may locate the mentioned taxiways.
The green marks refer to recommended exits and the yellow ones do the same with optional exits

Departure

I need to clarify that at LEPA intersection departures should be allowed at all times, and its ground responsibility to ensure the aircraft do not request departure from a taxiway used for exit

Below I create a table stating the main holding points for each runway configuration

Runways Recommended holding points
24L H9 & H10
24R H1, H2 & N1
- -
06L H4 & H5
06R S3, H8, H7 & H6

I link here another two images for locating on the airport those holding points

Procedures

Departure procedures (SIDs)

LEPA airport is plenty of SIDs, but here is a list of the recommended and optional SIDs for both runways

Runways Recommended SIDSs Optional SIDs
24L & 24R BAVE3A, DRAG2A, EPAM2A, ESPO2A, GALA2A, NELU1A ISTE1G, ISTE2A, MEBU2G, MEBU3A, MERO3A, MORS3A,
06L & 06R BAVE2S (06L), BAVE2T (06R), DRAG3N (06L), DRAG3R (06R), EPAM2N (06L), EPAM2R (06R), ESPO3N (06L), ESPO3R (06R), GALA3N (06L), GALA3R (06R) BAVE3B (06R), MEBU3B (06R)

SIDs 24s

SIDs 06s

Attention: This is a list of recommended procedures, you are still subject to receiving violations. Most common reasons are interfering with other aircraft. Be responsible, do not follow a SID from the south just before Take off from 24R, I suggest flying straight out until the end of the opposite runway approach cone, and then you can follow the SID.

Arrival procedures (STARs)

Same with the arrival procedures, here you can see the recommended and the optional ones

Runways RecommendedSTARs OptionalSTARs
24L & 24R GODO3P, LAMP2P, MEBU3P, OSGA3P, RUXE2P LORE1K, MAME1M, RIXO1K
06L & 06R GODO3M, LAMP2M, LORE1R, OSGA3M, RUXE2M, TOLS1R MORS2J, RIXO1J

STARs 24s

STARs 06s

Approach procedures

Nothing really concerning here, recommend using any type of ILS or, RNAV approach for your designed runway that has a transition from your selected STAR.

Ground control

Here I upload a picture for each different configuration to increase the functionality of the airport with respect to ground movements.
The blue lines refer to arrival traffic, while the white lines do the same to departing traffic.

Aircraft located on the red square may not receive a pushback immediately due to the presence of arrivals that may conflict with them

I really think that the hardest frequency to control will be the ground one, I encourage all the controllers to maintain a very high positive control over the layout, with the use of give way commands and progressive taxi instructions when necessary.

READ THIS

This is a guide based on only recommendations, controllers are still perfectly able to manage the airport at their discretion and modify the procedures used in this guide. Violations appeals cant be based on this guide as its only recommendation and the active controller has the final decision of implementing it or not.

Thank you for reading this! I hope to see you at the event!!!
-Alex

46 Likes

Thank you for doing this, I will be sure to link the topic on the event post ;)

2 Likes

Very detailed one Alex!

youre a regular already? oo

3 Likes

Awesome guide 👏

1 Like

Thanks @Charlieab29, really a very good event!

@TheAviationGallery thanks and yes, I am regular, but not for a long time unfortunately
@Kyle0705 glad you liked it mate!

3 Likes

Did you mean LEPA?

1 Like

Thank you for your report, was a typo

1 Like

Thank you for this great guide! Many true points in there and a great guide for those not as familiar with the airport of Palma!

1 Like

Thank you for your support ❤️

1 Like

Great topic Alex! I will use this for sure if I am going to open there

1 Like

Great guide! The guide can be used very well for the new FNF tomorrow. Here is a link to the FNF:

6 Likes

After checking the weather forecast for tomorrow, predictably the runway configuration will be the same as the outlined in the guide (Runways 24’s) And the traffic levels are expected to be same as last event on LEPA.

Gotta post the TAF for LEPA

TAF: LEPA 131100Z 1312/1412 22010KT 9999 FEW030 TX34/1312Z TN21/1406Z BECMG 1318/1320 VRB04KT PROB30 TEMPO [1320/1404 2000](tel:1320/1404 2000) BR BKN010 BECMG 1410/1412 25010KT

4 Likes