A Good Time to Start Flying?

I want to be a pilot when I’m older, so I am looking into flight schools, but I want to know the best age to start flight school, can anyone answer?

3 Likes

When you can afford it. :D

6 Likes

Lol very true, I have to take that into consideration as well.

5 Likes

Any time. But if you are in the USA, the FAA says you need to be at least 16 for your first solo and 17 for a license.

In the US, it is legal to fly at any age, as long as you have a flight instructor with you. Someone flew at age 7. But, you can solo at age 16, and get your PPL at 17.

@CJGuitar @the_simulation_nerd thank you for answering, I guess I still have a always to go before flying on my own.

1 Like

I am trying to get some flight lessons for X-mas. I am in the same boat as you, @ChiknNRice

Look into joining AOPA, they offer thousands of dollars in scholarships to young aspiring pilots for flight lessons. Save your money, as much as you can. The number one fail reason at my flight school is their money ran out. It’s never too early to start learning at home. Study, study, study.

1 Like

my school says the younger the better, as that way you’ll have more time to practise and gain more hours, but then there is the factor of cost. So it’s basically as soon as you can afford it.

Is there someone you know or your parents might know who are a flight instructor

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Start now before you get too old

Are u talking to me? If so thank you, I strive to keep a good attitude on the forums :)

Yep, I know someone who wishes they would’ve looked into flight school before it was too late.

I’m 14, I’m doing flight training, there are restrictions to when you can do certain parts and finish certain things with flight training, but you can really start whenever you want, and whenever you can afford it.

if you’d like to know a little more, i’d be happy to talk with you in a PM ;)

1 Like

No, unfortunately. I’ll be in the first in my family to be a pilot if I succeed though! @Rexton well, I’m not much older than u haha but you’ll get there eventually. @Oscar thank you for the help!

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Woah, even better lol! You sound like a pretty smart guy, I’m just a plain old avgeek who wants to fly JetBlue lol.

2 Likes

There’s never anything plain about an avgeek :-)

2 Likes

I guess so, I just feel like I’m one in a thousand on this forum lol