A Foggy Alaskan Sunrise to a Blue Sky in Paradise

Well I’m back with another Hawaii post! If you ever run out of pictures of Hawaii to look at I seem to make a new post with it every week, and guess what airport it is, PHKO or Kona, like it always is, but hey I love that airport. Anyways, I’ve flown from Anchorage to Honolulu, but now that Alaska is flying to Kona from Anchorage, I flew that route yesterday after I got the idea from @Tsumia who was flying Anchorage to Honolulu on his trip through all 50 states. I took off at about 10:15 AM Anchorage time, the 800 meter visibility was combined with a sunrise which caused some amzingly pink and orange fog to takeoff through. I flew South out of Anchorage past Kodiak island before seeing nothing but water for 2,500 miles and almost 5 hours. I used the Alaska 737-800 and my flight time was 5 Hours 52 minutes.

Route Details

PANC-PHKO / ANC-KOA
Alaska Airlines
Boeing 737-800
5 Hours 52 minutes

The landing lights glow as we rotate through the driving fog just after sunrise in Anchorage Climbing through 22,000 feet the tips of faraway mountains glow in the sunrise just above the fog The Kenai Mountain Range is visible off the left side of the plain as we fly south toward the Cook Inlet (thanks @anon38496261 :)) The mountains of Glacier Bay as we fly over the Gulf of Alaska After 5 hours of nothing but water we fly over the Island of Oahu with Honolulu down below Descending into Kona we fly by the hills and ranches of the North Kohala Coast on the tip of The Big Island The gear go down 5 miles out as that Blue Hawaiian Sky is bright above Final approach into Kona is as picturesque as ever Passing minimums, but the weather is always great in Kona! On the ground on The Big Island with the town of Kona sitting on the mountainside of the volcano of Hulalai

As always, please let me know your thoughts and your favorite photo!

37 Likes

Awesome pics!!!🙌🏻 @NoahM

3 Likes

Alaska is probably my favorite place to fly. Never flown from Alaska to Hawaii though. Well, there’s my next flight!

2 Likes

Beautiful! Glad I inspired you @NoahM! Now go Hawaii to Cali. 😂

2 Likes

Nice pictures, I like when people fly to Alaska!!

3 Likes

Great photos. I’ve got a friend who just got back to Colorado from Kona the other day. He also rides a Kona downhill bike.

2 Likes

You’ve heard me talking about Alaska, now you know why. That scenery never gets old, does it? By the way, love that edit you make on the first photo.

3 Likes

Yes. The great scenery of AK never gets old. It’s just unfortunate that we dont get to see the glacial mountains above the 60th parallel.

3 Likes

Yeah, there’s 2 other large mountain ranges up there, and the glaciers. If we had the 3D scenery up there, it would make for some great bush flying.

3 Likes

Great scenery and pictures

1 Like

Hey, so, that’s not exactly the Bering Strait (yes, Bering is spelled that way when it comes to the Bering Strait). The Bering Strait is wayyyyyy north of Anchorage and connects to Russia. Also, the Glacier Bay is quite a bit east of where you were.

What’s in your photo, however, is the Cook Inlet 😉

Absolutely gorgeous photos though! Some of the best, in fact. Thanks for flying at Anchorage!

2 Likes

I love the first two photos!!!

2 Likes

You won’t regret it!

1 Like

I’ve done Hawaii to Cali many, many times, but I’m seriously considering a cargo flight from Hawaii to Oakland tomorrow 😂

Kona and the Big Island is awesome, my family and I were there in July, I hope he had fun!

It DOES NOT get old, that’s for sure. And I’m glad
you like the edit, I used the “selective” tool in Snapseed and brightened up that area

1 Like

The Alaska scenery is not bested by any other scenery.

2 Likes

@Butter_Boi and @KGJT-9149 when I first flew into Anchorage in IF, I was like “wow it’s so flat, I always thought Alaska was mountains.huh, every airport in the northern half of the state is at 0ft MSL , that’s weird” It took me a while to realize 🤣

2 Likes

I didn’t think it was the Bering Strait, but I wasn’t too sure if it extended downward or if it was just between the US and Russia, and I guess google lied to me about where I was because I just looked up Glacier Bay and it was way East of my flight plan. Man you Alaskans always correct me about my wrong information 😂

1 Like

Thanks a lot!