A Final Spotting Trip | Munich, March 19, 2020

Hey Everyone!

I hope you are all doing well in these crazy days. While traffic in Infinite Flight is going through the roof, real life air traffic is suffering from various entry restrictions around the globe. Nevertheless Munich got some interesting traffic on Thursday. Combined with the great weather that day, I decided to go to the airport for a last time before traffic dies down entirely and curfews are introduced in Germany.
Many movements that day didn’t happen despite the Corona pandemic but because of it. The first plane, a SunExpress 737 wearing a special sticker celebrating the airline‘s 30th anniversary left Munich completely empty to bring back holiday makers later.

A „normal“ movement but still a rare plane left Munich for Romania - Tarom‘s Babybus A318.

A special I didn’t expect that day but that surprised me when I arrived was the Rugby livery of AerLingus. This pic is probably the most backlit one you’ll ever see from me but the plane, like many others, used an intersection for takeoff due to the low loads these days so I didn’t get it from a better angle.

Slightly bigger and, despite of entry restrictions for foreign citizens in the US, still flying was this United 777 leaving for Chicago.

One of the two reasons why I actually went to the airport: For the third time (I think haha), Etihad brought their special painted 787-10 „Greenliner“ to Munich. While usually this would be a departure on the southern runway, for some weeks, Munich Airport switched into a segregated mode using one runway for departures and one for landings rather than the usual mixed mode that quite often can drive you crazy as a spotter.

So let’s switch over to the southern runway for landings. Usually, the next plane would be an A380 but due to the low demand, Emirates reduced its Munich service to 2 daily 777s and one 380 from one 777 and 2 380s. Only today, the airline announced to completely stop the services to Germany.

A normal plane but a special movement: While Lufthansa’s A350 is the backbone of Lufthansa’s long haul ops in Munich, this flight isn’t actually on the schedule since D-AIXJ performed an evacuation flight from Bridgetown to bring cruise ship passengers back home.

A completely normal movement again now though. Even though demand is very low, Qatar is still flying two daily 777 flights to Munich, however the airline will downgrade the service to one 350 soon.

It might not be special but still worth taking a picture of due to the current situation. Since the airline already was in rather bad shape before, the current events are making their situation worse, so we don’t know if they will be able to keep flying for long.

A smaller brother of Norwegian‘s 737-800 is this SAS 737-700 still flying Even though the airline stopped their operations for the time being.

While I expected the Greenliner and another 787, this little bird came as a surprise as well. After they started the route from Minsk to Munich last year, I finally got Belavia‘s World of Tanks livery on the E195. (Initially, the route was scheduled with an E175 but it’s seeing different planes on a regular basis)

But let’s get to the next big highlight of the day. Fitting it’s flight number MS787, the flight from Cairo was operated by a 787-9 instead of the usual 737 due to the fact that it was the last flight before the closure of Egypt‘s airports.

After the big highlights had landed, one last special livery arrived from Istanbul so I decided to stay a few minutes longer to catch it as the last pic for what will probably be quite some time before air traffic resumes normal-ish operations.

Stay safe!

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I need a wide angle lens)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First two days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again! You’ll end up in a burnout very soon I fear…
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again

55 Likes

Ahh the Etihad Greenliner livery and the World of Tanks livery are soo impressive :))

2 Likes

Some great catches here! Love that World of Tanks livery!

1 Like

I’ve never spotted Lingus with its left winglet for some reason, it was always missing

1 Like

Etihad, it’s blue.

Sincerely, everyone with functioning eyeballs.

Good stuff as usual. I like the watermark.

2 Likes

All I can say is Oo La La!

That means nice photos in French

1 Like

That Ethiad livery is incredible! I don’t know how I’ve never seen it before.

1 Like

Lovely pictures as always @Moritz 😊

1 Like

Wow! Awesome pictures as always @Moritz, and a pretty great last spotting topic for a while!

1 Like

Some great pictures as always! Hard to pick a favourite (probably the AerLingus), as they are all really well made. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Great pics in Munich

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it blue tbh but on the other hand it isn’t clearly green either 🤔 something in between I guess

Well, it’s rather new after all

Thanks everyone for the nice comments 👍🏼✌🏼

1 Like

turquoise intensifies

3 Likes

Sehr schöne liveries erwischt! Top Bilder von dir sowieso! Wusste überhaupt nicht das du in IFC bist😲

1 Like

What a nice album of pics!

1 Like

Jetzt hätte ich ja eigentlich genug spotting topics gemacht als dass des hätte auffallen können 😂

1 Like

You scared me there, stay safe, hopefully your back out there soon, we’ll actually hopefully we’re all back out there soon. Stay safe!

1 Like

Amazing Photos. <3

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.