A Few More Days of Specials After My Holidays | Munich, September 16-18, 2020

Welcome back!

After a little longer break, I’m back with a new topic. Once again, due to the horrible low traffic level, I combined three days of spotting starting from Wednesday.
After coming back from holidays in Crete on Tuesday, I immediately returned to the airport the day after since three specials were due to arrive that day. The first shot I took after my break however, “only” was an Air Canada 787 in the new livery, departing via the southern runway.

I just mentioned I went to the airport for three specials, however the two Boeing specials, the Etihad “Choose Italy” livery and the Boeing 767-400BBJ of Bahrain arrived without sunlight, so I’ll only show the third special: airBaltic’s Lithuania livery on their Airbus A220.

The next day was another rather short visit for a few midday specials. Just like several times before, the Hungarian Airforce arrived on a training flight with their A319. Mind the matching colors of the background and the plane…

Another (mostly) grey plane came from Abu Dhabi - this time the Etihad special still got light though. And after all, the red highlights of the Formular 1 livery still pop out.

Another minor special was Qatar’s Boeing 787 which we didn’t see in Munich since 2016, because the airline replaced it with A350 and 777 services.

After these two short days of spotting I already was a tad annoyed by the low traffic but somehow I could still get myself to the airport one last time on Friday. While I didn’t plan to catch it again that day, I still got a pic of the Bahraini 767 taxiing for departure to Rochester, MN.

The following departure had arrived from Ramstein Air Base an hour earlier and also departed to Rochester just half an our later. The USAF C17 supposedly brought the Prince of Bahrain to Minnesota for further medical treatments.

Annoyingly, the slightly delayed departure of the C17 made me miss the landing of the next special which landed from Berlin, so I had to get a ramp shot through the fence of the Albania A319 registered as TC-ANA

The bright side of that mishap however was, that this way I discovered the upsides of a spot I haven’t tried so far which offers nice conditions for planes taxiing during the afternoon hours such as this little medevac Do328 JET of the german automobile club, operated by the Nueremberg-based Aero-Dienst company.

A departure that had been rescheduled several times already also finally happened that evening, one of two private planes of the Indian Reliance Industries company left Munich and taxied past us.

While we were taking a few more pics of parked planes, the flight to Paris left again in gorgeous light in front of our ATC tower. By that time we noticed that another special departed to arrive in Munich an hour later.

Before leaving for another position to spot said special, we took some final taxi shots of another A220 of airBaltic, this time wearing the revised livery of the airline.

Shortly before sunset, the last special of the day finally landed on the southern runway. Inbound from Warsaw on the daily flight to Munich, LOT brought their tiny E175 retro livery which was supported by the amazing light conditions.

With that special endind the day, I was still happy with the third day of spotting in a row while I wasn’t to motivated in the morning.

Thanks for visiting this topic! I hope you liked it! See you for the next topic ;)

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS II USM (for wide angle pics)

Backup / Old Lenses

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I needed a wide angle lens, replaced by the 24-105 now)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM (for the majority of my very old pics, bascially completely replaced by the 100-400 now)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

Instagram

Jetphotos

Recorded Flights on my YouTube channel

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF Week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One Arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First Two Days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last Specials Prior to the Corona Break
First Spotting Trip After the Corona Restrictions With Some Cargo Specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Rescue Helicopter
Spotting AN-22 in Leipzig
Spotting the Last Departing A340s of Lufthansa
First Visit of Qatar’s OneWorld A350-1000
AN124 and Other Specials in Munich
Spotting in Frankfurt With Several Specials
Early Morning Cargo Movements
Government Flights at Munich
Military & Special Spotting at Ingolstadt and Neuburg AFB
DC3, Hekla Aurora and an EXPO livery at Munich
The First Visit of an Airbus Beluga XL
Summer Spotting Ending with Engine Light
IL76 Spotting in the Summer Heat
Two Weeks of Specials Summarized
Two More Days of Specials in Munich

Honorable mentions, TLDRs and Reminders

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again!
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again
@Balloonchaser since you will come here anyway…
@JulianB just want to be sure you don’t miss it
@CaptainHugh

41 Likes

First 😉

3 Likes

RIP @Balloonchaser

2 Likes

First to actually look through the thread and admire the pictures - Amazing pictures Moritz! When are you sending them to me in America?

5 Likes

Contrast 💯

2 Likes

Still enough contrast for JP though ;)

1 Like

Not like you know what that is

prenk

5 Likes

It still hurts when you are used to much more…

I was just reporting facts 🤷‍♂️

2 Likes

some alternative ones

5 Likes

It’s 100% true, not my fault the US has several cities with the same name

3 Likes

@Moritz At least you have variety

Pre-Covid we had 7000+ weekly flights and 86% of it was American

2 Likes

You heard about Lufthansa? It’s a German airline that used to make the majority of our movements, now we spot them so we at least get some pictures

1 Like

Nice shots

3 Likes

Where are your 767 pics? 🧐

1 Like

I didn’t want to drive all the way down to RST, maybe next weekend. They usually stay here for a while.

2 Likes

Love it, can’t wait till I can fly one

2 Likes

Oh, yes…

3 Likes

Some very cool pictures! Especially the variety is great in this topic with everything from my favourite A220 to the mighty C17. Thanks for sharing and the tag!

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Jake_S hope you have a great time here!!

It looks so good @Moritz !!
Also I am a formula 1 fan.

1 Like