A change to grading

Ok so, I already know I’m gonna get a ton of flack about this, but I feel it’s something that needs to be changed. So, whatever. So, please read the entire post before formulating an opinion. I am open to new ideas, but well thought out, informed ideas, not just any old vile that come to mind. So, here it is, and it’s a long one.

###Background Info

With the grading system the way it is, it places a big emphasis on the flight time you have. There are other factors to it such as landings and violations, but those are outweighed by the flight time. And while this might seem like a good way to ensure that you’re experienced enough to fly on Expert, there are ways around this. For example, flying in a C172 at 50 knots just to gain flight time AND XP. That’s not fair to the rest of us who actually take the time to complete out flights and patterns and do things the ‘right’ way.

###My Idea
While it was touched on here, Change in the grading system, the thought was never fully developed. I think it’s time to overhaul the Grading System now that Global is coming. I think we should do away with the flight time requirement. I know some of you are reading this and thinking already that I have some idiotic idea to share, but I think this is worth mentioning.

By doing away with the flight time requirement, We would be getting rid of a large portion of what people abuse to get to certain ranks. We’ve seen it time and time again, planes flying super slow across a region just to gain xp and flight time, you get rid of the flight time requirement, and these people would have to change up their strategy.

You might wonder, won’t this make it easier for people to get into other levels? I’ve thought about this as well, and came to the conclusion that we need a new system for Grading. We need the addition of some other requirements to balance out the lack of a flight time. A few ideas I came up with is adding a ‘Landing Proficiency’ requirement. Basically, this would take into account your landings and how accurate you are with them.

So here’s what Landing Proficiency would entail. It’s a Grading System that calculates how well your landings are. Factors such as your Touch Down Vertical Speed, Centerline Deviation, and Landing Zone Area would be taken into account and assigned a value. Said value we’ll call ‘X’. After you get to a certain X value, you would gain access into Grade 3, 4 or 5 and Expert. This would eliminate the people that set up Autopilot and go to sleep and gain XP and Flight Time.

#Some things to take into account

####What about Global?
Well, I think that you should be able to fly patterns and short hops before you’re allowed to fly in Global, but that’s just me. You’d still be getting XP as long as you do a good job landing, but you won’t gain as much as doing pattern work in the time given.

###Misc
These are ideas that I had that I didn’t know where to categorize. Some more might pop in here.

###Conclusion
This Grading System will be a true assignment based on your Skills. You can’t just go cruise at 50 knots for hours and expect to rank up. Maybe with this Grading System, a perks system can be added? After a certain number of landings, and a certain Grade, an XP multiplier is added? I don’t know. I don’t have all the answers. This is where you all come in.

I want this topic to be a serious one, I don’t want petty arguments and idiotic posts in here. I want good, thought out ideas to be posted and other people critique them. I know I may have been vague with certain things. If I was, ask!

Anyways, this post is long enough. I’d love to hear your creative ideas. Thanks!

26 Likes

shouldnt this be in #live

4 Likes

Something along the lines of Landing FPM should contribute.

6 Likes

What if it costs money and the person buys it?

3 Likes

I think this idea is good for when global is released but right now I think we should stick with the current grading system till global.

great idea though

5 Likes

i think we should just stick t it all together Itl save time and we would get global quicker

4 Likes

yeh I agree

3 Likes

I just want to clarify that this would be added alongside or after Global. This wouldn’t be necessary as of now.

1 Like

That’s just my personal opinion, no relation to the main post whatsoever

1 Like

we could have grade servers, like Grade 1 server, Grade 2 server etc. and if you say you are a Grade 3 and there is alot of grade 2s online you can fly in that server because you have passed throught that server and grade before

2 Likes

I think instead of a major change, violations should just count against you more. I’m not sure how to implement this, leave that for people who aren’t tired, but that’s my two cents.

3 Likes

I think we need a big change because people are abusing the current grading system and are not as skilled as some lower pilots. Not fair to those that try

1 Like

True…eliminate hours and make violations have more of an impact would be pretty nice I think. I’m not sure how well the landing evaluation would work out. There’d need to be a way that grades all aspects of flight, from taxiing to ATC to filing an FPL.

2 Likes

Those can come at a later time, they’d just be additions at that point. But I think that some sort of system is needed to gauge a person’s landing. It can’t all be XP and Flight time

1 Like

I would suggest removing landing fpm as that would incentivize bad flying behaviour by pilots. You’re always aiming for the touchdown point first, everything else comes second. You need to arrest your vertical speed to not break the plane, but you shouldn’t chase fpm while sacrificing touchdown point.

3 Likes

That would just be a measure of if your gear collapsed or you’re safely on the ground. Other factors such as wind, and visibility would out rank that

2 Likes

These are all great ideas, implementation will most likely remain the issue. You need FDS on board to put any of this into action. If you can come up with a reasonable and effective system that will require the least amount of code changing for the developers, you’ll potentially increase your odds of your idea being implemented. A lot of these require a decent amount of change from the current platform. It may not seem like much but it’s important to remember that the dev team is constantly working on bringing us improvements.

3 Likes

Oh I’m well aware of the amount of work it would take to gert this done. But I also wanted other individuals to contribute to the thought process involved

2 Likes

Excellent, you seem like you know what you’re doing. Just keep it simple.

3 Likes

I like your thinking. As @Flightfan84 said, you seem to know what you’re talking about :)

2 Likes