A Bumpy Start into a Great Weekend | Munich, February 13/14, 2020

Hey again,

it’s been a while sine I posted here - almost a month. Well, it’s also been a while since I went spotting. As every year, Munich hosts the Munich Security Conference with participants from all over the world in mid-February. Since this keeps colliding with my exams I went spotting nevertheless but didn’t have time for a proper topic so far since the last few weeks were a bit rough and stressful. Since my last exam is coming closer I finally have time to start a little series again, starting with the rather dull Thursday and Friday. Having met a whole bunch of great people during the weekend even the horrible weather became very much acceptable. So let’s see what we could get out of the days ;)

Since I had my databases exam on friday, I didn’t manage to go to the airport on Thursday morning when the weather was still quite good but I only arrived for the specials expected in the afternoon. While Serbia arrived with a little Embraer Jet, the big highlight was set to come a bit later.

The highlight of the weekend probably was the tiny bird from Kuwait, to be precise their A340-500.

We actually stayed at the airport for a few more hours for the arrival of Azerbaijan’s A340-600 but that ended up being a panning lottery where you had to be lucky to get a crisp shot with a shutter speed of 1/10th or above since it arrived so late. Since I have a way better shot from Zurich (find it linked in the topics below) and from the departure I decided to not add it here, so straight to Friday. Weather was worse than on day one but the planes were more special as well. Bringing the foreign minister of Russia, the Russian State Department arrived with one of their rare Il96’s. At least that one didn’t end up landing in a downpour.

Not a state visitor but a special was the Athens flight of Aegean. Their new A320neo made its first flight to Munich giving us the chance to have a look at the new livery.

A fair bit smaller and probably the smallest airplane you’ll find at Munich was this Pilatus rotating extremely early after using the full length of the runway for the takeoff run.

After some time, very dark clouds turned up. While we were still waiting for Armenia’s A319, the rain started around us and basically crossed paths with the plane right on touchdown. So once the pics were taken we fled underneath a nearby bridge and, as you would expect from Bavarians, we killed the time waiting for better weather by cooking some Weißwurst.

Oh yeah, I mentioned my exam on friday? At some point it was time to leave for university. But would that stop a crazy guy like me? You guessed it - No. Once done, I returned to the airport for some night shots. My main target was the CC-150 Polaris (military version of the A310) of the Canadian Forces that had brought Justin Trudeau to Munich the night before. With arrival and departure at night, there was no chance to get a good pic of it during the day, so I tried my luck shooting through the fence and across the runway first. The result was ok I guess and better than nothing.

After that I made my way across the airport area to do some more night shots of parked airplanes, for example the A320 of the Qatari government…

…and the Chinese 737.

Anticipating the departure of the Canadian Polaris at 2100L, we then went to the visitor hill right next to the apron the plane was supposed to cross we practiced night panning with really long exposure times with quite a few normal planes such as this A320 of Eurowings.

But of course, luck again wasn’t on our side that evening. At first, the departure was repeatedly delayed and it eventually turned out the plane would use the southern runway meaning it wouldn’t taxi past the hill we were standing on. As a last idea a few of us repositioned to a parking deck in the south to get a pic of it nevertheless. Let’s say that eventually worked at 2300L, but due to the fact that the plane didn’t use the lighted taxiway in front of us but the dark taxiway behind the illuminated apron we once again had to deal with extremely difficult conditions but with a lot of luck and even more noise reduction in post processing I got a taxi shot that was more or less acceptable given the circumstances.

Luckily, the weather and traffic on Saturday was way better for amazing pics but that’s something for another topic coming up soon…

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I need a wide angle lens)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots. ### Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again! You’ll end up in a burnout very soon I fear…
@Marc you’re welcome 😉

51 Likes

It really hasn’t

But great shots!

3 Likes

Wow! Your pictures never disappoint! Love the long exposures

2 Likes

Beautiful shots! I’m flying through Munich over the summer, so it’s good to see what kind of traffic flows in and out of the airport.

1 Like

Wow awesome pics! 🤩
@AlphaSeven would love that Qatar A320

4 Likes

Well, what you see in here really isn’t the average traffic in Munich ^^

1 Like

Amazing pictures! I love the night shots

1 Like

WOW that eurowings in motion is so weird but in a cool way! Nice photos keep it up! :)

1 Like

So as someone who recently tried there hand at both night shots, and panning shots, I have a few questions. First how the frick did you combine the two of those and get a better shot than I did on either of them independently? 😂

But second, and more seriously, what exposure were you at? And do you use a tripod when you do pans?

1 Like

Nice, love that Aegean A320Neo and the Kuwait A340!! Such great shots!

1 Like

I sure do!

Amazing pictures @Moritz! The Qatar one is beautiful!

1 Like

@AlphaSeven you just gonna brush over this?

2 Likes

Wait I just saw that! That’s awesome, nice catch Moritz!

-thanks for telling me lol @Tsumia

2 Likes

Thanks guys :)

Usually, for „normal“ daylight/evening pannings I haven’t used a tripod so far. For the night shot I used one especially since it was my first time trying it. I used a shutter speed of 1/4 with f5.0 and ISO2000 for the Eurowings and same settings with ISO8000 or something like that for the Canadian CC-150

They are some good shots! Also how did you get inside the airport?

1 Like

Really great pictures!
I absolutely love the EW A320 one, and the Aegean, Armenia, Russia and Canada ones are very special too.

All pictures are really well made, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I didn’t, the ramp shots were taken through the fence :)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.