9/11, A day that should never be forgotten

On the 9th month of the 11th day of the 1st year in the 2000’s, tragedy struck in the worst way possible. Today, we remember one of the worst moments in American history, a day that should never be forgotten.

AA11

PAX: 81 (including 5 hijackers)
Site: World trade Center
Destination: LAX

It was a normal Tuesday, and everything seemed normal. AA11 or American Airlines 11, was a regular 767-200er, and was boarding from Boston International Airport at 5:41 eastern daylight time. Everything was going normal, takeoff was smooth, and the plane was undisturbed, until approximately 8:14 when the pilots stoped responding to requests from the Boston Air Route Traffic Control Center. Crash

" We are in rapid descent … we are all over the place. Oh, my God, we are too low!"
Amy Sweeney, flight attendant aboard Flight 11, moments before the crash[37]

At 08:46:30, Mohamed Atta intentionally crashed American Airlines Flight 11 into the northern façade of the North Tower (Tower 1) of the World Trade Center. The aircraft, traveling at about 404 knots (465 mph; 748 km/h) and carrying about 10,000 U.S. gallons (38,000 L) of jet fuel, hit between floors 93 and 99 of the North Tower

UA175

PAX: 56 (including 5 hijackers)
Callsign: UNITED 175
IATA: UA175
Sited: World Trade Center, New York.

United 175 was a scheduled B767-200 flight from Boston Logan Airport to LAX in California, but on this particular day, that didn’t happen. UA175 took off from Boston Logan Airport at 6:20 the flight had begun boarding for what most passengers and crew believed to be LAX. With delays at KBOS, the flight finally took off from Boston Logans airport at 8:14 from runway 19. It is estimated that Flight 175 was hijacked between 08:42 and 08:46, while Flight 11 was just minutes away from hitting the North Tower. At exactly 9:02:59, Flight 175 crashed nose-first into the southern façade of the South Tower of the World Trade Center, at a speed of approximately 590 mph (950 km/h, 264 m/s, or 513 knots) and striking between floors 77 and 85 with approximately 10,000 U.S. gallons (38,000 L; 8,300 imp gal) of jet fuel on board.

AA77

PAX: 58 (including 5 hijackers)
Site: The pentagon
IATA: AA77

The B757-200, parched at Washington Dulles was ready for boarding. On the morning of September 11, 2001, the five hijackers arrived at Washington Dulles International Airport. At 07:15, Khalid al-Mihdhar and Majed Moqed checked in at the American Airlines ticket counter for Flight 77. Flight 77 left the gate on time and took off from Runway 30 at Dulles at 08:20. Between 8:51 and 8:54, is when the hijackers took over AA77, shortly after AA11 had crashed. Flight 77 was 5 miles (8.0 km) southwest of the Pentagon, it made a 330-degree spiral turn clockwise. At the end of the turn, it was descending through 2,200 feet, pointed toward the Pentagon and downtown Washington. Hani Hanjour advanced the throttles to maximum power and dove toward the Pentagon. While level above the ground and seconds from impact, the wings clipped five street lampposts and the right wing struck a portable generator, creating a smoke trail seconds before smashing into the Pentagon. Flight 77, flying at 530 mph (853 km/h, 237 m/s, or 460 knots).

UA93

Crash location: Somerset County, Pennsylvania
PAX: 37 (Including 4 hijackers)
Destination: SFO

The United Airlines B757-200, was a flight like no other 9/11 hijacked flights. The passengers on this flight were able to regain control from the hijackers, but unfortunately still ended up in crashing. The aircraft was scheduled to depart at 08:00 and pushed back from gate A17 at 08:01. It remained delayed on the ground until 08:42 because of heavy airport congestion. The three other hijacked flights all departed within fifteen minutes of their scheduled times. By the time Flight 93 became airborne. The hijacking on Flight 93 began at 09:28. By this time, Flights 11 and 175 had already crashed into the World Trade Center and Flight 77 was within nine minutes of striking the Pentagon. It is still unknown why the hijackers on Flight 93 waited 46 minutes to begin their assault. The evidence is that they attacked the pilots by at least 9:28:05, because the flight plummeted dramatically at that point-a drastic 680 feet in 30 seconds. The passenger revolt on Flight 93 began at 09:57, after the passengers voted on whether to act. By this time, Flight 77 had struck the Pentagon and Flights 11 and 175 had struck the World Trade Center towers. As the revolt began and the hijackers started maneuvering the plane violently, the plane left its Washington, D.C. course. At 10:03:11, near Indian Lake and Shanksville, Pennsylvania, the plane crashed into a field near a reclaimed coal strip mine known as the Diamond T. Mine owned by PBS Coals in Stonycreek Township in Somerset County.The National Transportation Safety Board reported that the flight impacted at 563 mph (906 km/h, 252 m/s, or 489 knots) at a 40-degree nose-down, inverted attitude.The impact left a crater eight to ten feet deep (c. 3 m), and 30 to 50 feet wide (c. 12 m). All 44 people on board died.

UA93 UA93 UA93 UA93

Today is a day to never forget. A day to remember those who have died on one of the worst American attacks in history. May those first responders who died saving those who were trapped be remembered, the innocent lives lost on these chosen flights Rest In Peace, and may those innocent lives lost in the Twin towers, Pentagon, and on the ground, Rest In Peace.

Air Crash investigation documentary:

Sources:

and the 9/11 documentaries on YouTube.

89 Likes

9/11, A Day We Will Never Forget

19 years ago, the greatest terror attack in known history took place. As four planes crashed into four locations. One in the North Tower of the World Trade Center. One in the South Tower. One in the Pentagon in Washington DC. Finally, one in a field in Pennsylvania. These attacks later came to be called The September 11 Attacks. They, to this date, have been recorded as both the biggest terror attack in human history, and one of the largest aviation incidents in history. This is their story.

It started as a normal morning. Over 2,000 people readied for work at the Trade Center. 300 first responders readied to save lives. 250 people readied for their flights. And 19 hijackers readied to cause havoc. They had one goal, mass destruction. These hijackers were apart of the organization Al-Quida, and this had been a plan in the making. This plan was orchestrated over the day, as all four planes were to be crashed into four different locations.

At 7:46 AM, American Airlines Flight 11, a Boeing 767-200ER pushed back from the gate at Boston Logan International. Flight 11 was one minute behind schedule but continued without any problems. However, there we in fact problems on that plane. 5 hijackers had boarded the plane and were waiting to strike. The plane began its take-off roll at around 8:00 AM. As the plane climbed, the hijackers made their move. They got up, drawing weapons and stormed the flight deck. They subdued they did not actually subdue the pilots, but I am trying to not say kill or provide even more graphic images the pilots, and stabbed a flight attendant. Contact was lost with the flight at 8:14 AM. The hijackers pointed the plane at New York and set off.

At 8:46 AM, the North Tower exploded into flames. The plane had been rammed into the North Tower. The building had begun to be evacuated. News cameras and emergency responders were soon on the scene. They captured some frightening.

Elsewhere in the sky, a second plane soon lost contact with ATC. And pointed itself toward New York. United Airlines Flight 175, a Boeing 767-200 rammed into the South Tower at 9:03. News cameras captured the moment the plane struck , and the top of the tower exploded into fire.

At 9:53, the South Tower began to creak. Bits of it soon began to fall. And in one swift moment, the tower collapsed. This caused the deaths of over 1,000 people. The North Tower soon followed. Both collapses also caused surrounding buildings to crumble, killing many more. Along with that, over 200 first responders were hit and killed in the destruction. The towers were no more. However, the end was nowhere in sight.

At the same time, a third plane failed to contact ATC. This plane was American Airlines Flight 77, a Boeing 757-200, was soon hijacked at 8:51 AM. It pointed itself toward Arlington, Pennsylvania. At 9:37, a pilot of a C-130 reported a fireball coming from the Pentagon. He said, “Looks like that aircraft crashed into the Pentagon, sir.”

He was true, the plane had impacted the Pentagon in a big ball of fire. The Western side of the Pentagon, completely devastating it. This killed many employees working at the facility, including many high-level personnel. The Naval Command Center was completely devastated. Footage soon was recovered of the crash, and I will let it do the talking.

Elsewhere in Shanksville, Pennsylvania a plane hit a field. Why a field? One of the greatest feats in the attack had been committed minutes prior.

United Airlines Flight 93 was a normal flight, or was supposed to be. The plane, a Boeing 757-200 took off from Newark Liberty International at 8:40 AM. By then, American Airlines Flight 11 was 4 minutes out from the North Tower. At 9:28 AM the hijacking began. The hijackers stormed the flight deck and took out the pilots and a flight attendant. They pointed the flight towards DC and got underway. In the hour that followed, the passengers became aware of the hijacking. They also received calls from loved ones alerting them to the aircraft crashing into the world trade center.

The first mayday rung out as the flight deck was breached. Soon after, the passengers began to plan. They needed to take back the aircraft from the hijackers. After things were finalized, they called loved ones and wished them farewell. Then they began to revolt. They stormed the aircraft and took out the hijackers. In the chaos, the plane later became inverted and plummeted toward the ground. The aircraft crashed in a field in Pennsylvania at 10:03 AM, all on board died.

These attacks have affected us as a nation and as a world altogether. We have increased security at borders and airports, taken further measures to prevent hijacking on board aircraft, and have been stricter on terrorism. This attack also started the war on terror. We have since been locked in the longest war in human history, spanning almost 20 years.

As you wrap up reading this, I want you to take four minutes of silence, one for each of the planes that were hijacked and crashed in an attack that galvanized the nation.

And as I finish, up I want to tell you that we cannot and will not forget this attack that changed things. We will never forget

Word of warning, I am posting this a little early just so that I won’t forget. Also, ignore that the mods merged my topic. It was a bit weird.

27 Likes

Quick correction to your orignal post… American 11 was from Boston, not Portland

RIP to everyone who lost their lives that day! I was 2 years old… btw…

World Trade Center (2006) watching this trailer makes me emotional. It portrays the brave and courage first responders specifically Port Authority of NY/NJ officers John Mcloughlin and Will Jimeno who went to save lives at the WTC on 9/11. Here is a glimpse of the movie if you have not watched:

4 Likes

RIP To all of the lives that were lost that day, you’ll never be forgotten!

Thank you @CPT_Colorado for bringing awareness to this!

4 Likes

RIP to all lives that was taken

I’m lucky to have a piece of this memorial, I have an small section of the Twin Towers, as my father lost his senior manager (boss) of the group he worked in during the incident those 19 years ago. He was on a conference call to some of the New York team as the first aircraft hit the building below them. That is a moment he will never forget. Amazingly he still works for the same company now.

I was lucky to hear the entire perspective from my mother and father on how the story unfolded for them.

I also posted on this last year:

I do feel bad for how positive I sounded then. 😳

15 Likes

Wow! That is something really cool to have! RIP to all that lost their lives on that dreadful day. You will never be forgotten.

1 Like

I went to the New York City last year for the first time ever and I visited the 9/11 memorial fountains. It was probably the coolest but by far the saddest part of the trip, there were just so many names on that railing of the people that lost their lives. Rest in piece, to the people in the planes, on the ground, to the families, to the incredibly brave men and women that stepped up and sacrificed their lives. May they never be forgotten.

There is a really interesting but sad movie about United Flight 93 and what happened on the flight to make it not reach it’s target.
https://g.co/kgs/8uYbpp

3 Likes

I was able to see the memorial too a few years ago. In the bustling city, only at the memorial, is where there is complete silence.

2 Likes

I was in Manhattan that day, as a growing baby inside my Mom’s womb. She was on her way to work at Paramount Pictures when that happened. We will Never Forget 9/11 and the 2,977 innocent lives lost that day.

For the aviation side, here are some pictures from a Boeing 777 captain that was crossing the Atlantic on 9/11/01 when they were diverted to Gander.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, because the FAA grounded all aircraft over and inbound to US airspace. And all these massive jets had to divert to the nearest airport that they could possibly land at, so all those tiny airports with runways just big and long enough to be able to facilitate a heavy got more heavies it would probably everyone see.

“Let’s roll”

–Todd Beamer (UA93)

2 Likes

We should all take a minute of silence to commemorate the tragedy of 09/11. It is a sad truth that people decide to use aviation as a way to kill their enemies. Hopefully we will never have any similar events in the future.

1 Like

I found three very interesting documentaries recently that I can recommend to all of you.

9/11: Cleared for Chaos
A 2019 documentary by Discovering Channel Canada focusing on Operation Yellow Ribbon. It shows interviews with ATC controller of Gander, pilots who needed to divert as well as passengers.

9/11: Operation Yellow Ribbon
A 2010 Canadian documentary that puts a lot of focus on the passengers who were stranded in Gander. The kindness of those people in dark times like these can’t be described with words.

BOATLIFT - An Untold Tale of 9/11 Resilience
This short video tells the story of boat captains evacuation people from Manhattan after the towers collapsed. It’s a story I’ve never heard before about the largest ever evacuation via water in human history. Not aviation related but definitely worth watching.

15 Likes

To onto what @Marc said here is another documentary from United States lawmakers throughout September 11 and 12.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine the stress of Ben Sliney
Having a terrorist attack on your first day and shutting down all of US airspace.

My father was meant to be at the top of the building that day. But due to a lucky mishap he was late because of his workmate’s train not coming on time.

Rest in Peace everyone who died in the attack, and also thanks to the responders that saved so many too.

I am not American, but felt this one scar the whole world forever,

6 Likes

It is so sad to see so many people die and my two favorite aircraft types get destroyed. :( Never forget.

On this day, 19 years ago, on September 11th, 2001, the largest terror attack to this day happened. In this despicable act, 2,977 people were killed.

At 8:46 AM, the world changed forever. America was under attack.

I actually know some people, family in fact, that were there at the time of the attacks. One in a plane which diverted and landed, and another who was in the pentagon. I am forever grateful to know them and have them in my life.

One of my family members (I won’t specify who), was in the pentagon on 9/11. It’s hard not to take it for granted, since I wasn’t alive at the time, but I am so grateful that they made it out, and always remind myself that it could’ve been him.

One of my other family members was on a plane on 9/11. He was a pilot, except he was riding, as the pilots were already flying. When they heard about the hijacking of AA11, AA77, UA175 and UA93, he stood guard of the cockpit until they reached their diversion point (I forgot where). I’m so lucky to know him, and I always remind myself, it could’ve been him.

Rest In Peace to all 2,977 people who lost their lives on September 11th, 2001. In the address to the nation by George W. Bush, he says ”These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.“ We as Americans, as people, will never back down. And we, as people, from all walks of life, stand together against these terrorist acts. We pray for those who lost their lives and their families as well, and they are in our hearts, and will never be forgotten.

Always in our hearts. Never forget 9/11.

8 Likes

I give my condolences to the 2,977 people who lost their lives and their families who were in grief and still are. They were businessmen, businesswomen, fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters. The passengers onboard United Flight 93 were even heroes and likely saved hundreds of lives.

Rest in peace.

We will never forget.
2 Likes