787 Flap settings, step climb and

Hello everyone!

I am about to attempt Nairobi to New York, a wonderful ultra long haul route of around 17 hours, from the city I currently live in.

As the 787 is a relatively new aircraft, I am failing to find information pertaining to the following queries:

1. At what speeds should flaps be retracted on takeoff? The clean speeds?
  2. At what speeds should flaps be extended when on an approach, I have been completely unable to find this.
  3. I have found a very helpful post on takeoff thrust on this forum, where i found i should be using around 80% thrust on takeoff, but what should my climb thrust be?
  4. What altitudes should I be at as I progress through my flight? I will obviously be very heavy at the beginning of my journey, so i am unsure of what altitude is should climb to and when.

Thank you for any answers that may be given!

1 Like

200 knots

I start extending them at around 220 knots

Depends on your weight, you might need 85-95% N1

Sine you’re flying west, even altitudes. 320, 340, 360, etc.

7 Likes

Regarding climb thrust: I usually reduce the throttle by 5 to 10%, depending on how I selected my takeoff thrust which might have been a bit too much or too less… works for most departures unless there is a speed or altitude restriction in the SID that’s holding you back.

This site has flap speed references for all aircraft as well as more useful info. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thank you! This site was very useful

one more tip, use trim. I use like 50% when flying the 787, helps with fuel efficiency 🙂

Really? I may be wrong and I’m not one to argue but trim is a completely mechanical feature and reduces the force entered by the pilot to climb/descent. When Autopilot is engaged, trim is completely disregarded.

1 Like

Okay now for some answers to the question…

In most passenger/commercial aircraft on IF, on the flight controls or around you seat, you can find a little flaps sheet with the flap limits and I believe that one can be found in the 787 between the yoke and edge ok cockpit.
I unfortunately don’t know much more to the answers of the other questions but I hope this helped ;)