787 drift on Takeoff

About an hour ago I was heading from DFW to FCO and when I began to takeoff my 787 suddenly began to veer of to the left not under my control. I was able to steer it so it would barely stay on the runway. This isn’t the first time this has happened to me in the 787. Does anyone know why or what i can do to prevent it? Thanks

-Butter575

did you calibrate before takeoff, and how was the wing looking?

1 Like

What speed were you at? In the instances I’ve done this it happens when you’re past your rotation speed.

1 Like

Speed was under 90kts when it started. I couldn’t name the exact speed because I’m still flying but it was definitely before rotation speed

Did you calibrate?

There are two topics going now about 787 yaw on takeoff.

I just copied this from the other topic on 787 takeoff yaw:
I think the likely cause is crosswind combined with the 787 habit of pitching up at low airspeed.

When you combine a fair amount of positive trim, the nose wheel is likely ready to pitch up at a very low airspeed. This gives no resitance to yawing caused by crosswind.

So I just tested this with 15knt crosswind and trim of 15. The sense of yaw is very apparent. Keep the nose wheel down until you get enough speed to allow the rudder to counter the crosswind yawing.

3 Likes

Ok, it might have been I didn’t calibrate before takeoff

This exactly 👆

Same with the 757 because it’s a lift machine

2 Likes

Ok thanks y’all

1 Like

Easiest way I find to avoid this is to keep slight nose down pressure until rotation speed and be active with the rudder in crosswind takeoffs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.