777 landing

Yes that’s what I mean lol it auto corrected

1 Like

Practice makes perfect but you will never get perfect without doing it again

I had trouble too, but when I descend I keep my flaps at a low degree (1 or5) to prevent too much speed.

Is that for real or just on the game?

Make sure you are below MLW on approach, makes the plane slow down easier

Have a read through the following, same basics covered which works across all aircraft.

The 777 is a slippery beast and you will often need speed brake in light winds! The saving grace is that you have two massive engines providing a fair bit of drag at low throttle settings but I don’t know how accurately that is modeled in this game.

Remember that the landing weights of the medium jets (A320, 737) are under 100 tonnes, the 777 will often come in around 200 tonnes with a similar approach speed! Lots and lots more momentum!!!

Slow it early, try and be 160kts at 2000’ and the approach speed (772 approx 140-145kts at 190T, 773 approx 150-155 at 230T) in landing flap and gear down by 1000’ at the latest!

50’ get ‘ready’, 30-35’ start a very gentle flare whilst looking towards the end of the runway. 10’ adjust for rate of descent as necessary, if cross wind, kick the aircraft straight and drop the into wind wing slightly.

Touchdown, retard thrust levers, apply spoilers and reverse thrust, monitor the autobrake or apply braking. Slow, 60kts reverse idle, fast walking pace, forward idle. Taxy, Park, go home/hotel.

5 Likes

Aren’t you supposed to retard before touchdown? In Airbuses at 20ft agl and Boeings at around 50?

1 Like

Your throttles should be close to idle anyway, you’ll be flying the aircraft to the runway. Some pilots like to have a little residual thrust on landing.

The above comment was really to ensure that the thrust levers are fully closed as you’ll need to apply reverse thrust. You can’t do that in the real aircraft if the thrust levers aren’t fully at idle.

3 Likes

Fair enough. Thanks for clearing that up.

I feel that landing the 737 is harder than the 777. When I try to land the 737, it can stall, but most often touchdown is my hardest part. I feel like every time I watch my 737 land, it’s such a rough landing! But when my 777, it’s more smooth. I think this is because it is a lot larger of an aircraft. But I could see how you could have a difficult time landing the 777 while in the air, with flaps and speed (etc.).

1 Like

Thanks for your input.
Guess it’s different for everyone.
I think ground effect also plays a factor in my landing the 777. Just seems to float down the runway for an eternity before touchdown

Thank you so much for the guideline. Going to print it out for quick reference

Great. Appreciate the detailed procedure. Thank you.

Actually actually*

Yeah, I find if you don’t slow down earlier on it’s very difficult to get the 787 to slow down enough at landing.

a put my mad ramblings on a table so as to be easier as a quick reference. As before it is a rough guide and what works for me flying a mobile slim and end up with realistic looking results.

I am sure the professional Triple drivers (@Heavydriver, @Yuan_Tugo ) who frequent this forum can happily (and correctly) pick holes in it, but as a ‘rule of thumb’ works for me at present!

1 Like

The trick is being at the right speed on approach. I aim for being at around 200kts at somewhere between 3000-4000 ft as I am getting to final approach. At that point, keeping a good glodeslope is easy, and being at roughly 140 kts as you’re about to land is also very doable. At that point the 777 will make a nice smooth landing.

1 Like

Good morning David,
Thanks again for the info you provided.
I am having one problem calculating my decent. I’m using the formula but I keep coming in too low.
Example: San Diego to LAX. 19000 ft.
Target altitude is 1000 ft.
19000-1000=18000.
18000 divided by 1000 =18
18 x 3 = 54 miles.
I’m descending at 2000/min
Speed at 200 IAS
I’m reaching the target altitude way too soon.
Am I doing this wrong?

Hi Ken,

Sounds like you slowing down too much too soon! If you look at the table you see that you adjust your speed depending on your height. Above 10000ft MSL yoi need speed above 260 kts and then below that you reduce to 240…220 and slower as you get closer to landing.

The table gives you altitude, speed and VS to aim for based on the distance to go from the airport.