777 hard to slow down?

During a flight to Los Angeles from Zurich, I had a violation because I think that the 777 is quite hard to slow down, I have no idea why but I got a violation for it as I was slowly slowing down and was at about 273kts when I passed 10,000ft, if there’s any tips that you could help me with, that will be greatly appreciated or if you have experienced this before, thanks a lot - Dan/if.england

2 Likes

Your descent rate (VS) was probably too much. Try using spoilers next time.

2 Likes

Hello!

Yes, the 777 is a slippery beast. Same with the DC-10 & MD-11.
Apparently, it’s like that in real life as well. So it’s behaving as expected :)

13 Likes

Start reduce your speed before fl10

2 Likes

You could’ve had a more shallow decent. And hopefully you realized your speed was going down fast enough…

2 Likes

If you want a fast decent up to 10,000ft, I’d recommend 280 Knots until 20,000ft, drop the speed to 260 knots by 15,000ft, with a rate of descent of roughly 1500ft/min to 1700ft/min. From 15,000ft down you have to extend the spoilers to flight an continue the descent. This game allows for a 10 knot range for you to slow down below 10,000ft (if you are 259 knots you will not receive a speed warning, hit 260 knots and above and you’ll get the warning and then the violations). To stay safe, I’d suggest a speed reduction at 12,000ft at -1500ft/min from 260 knots to 240 knots. Works like a charm for me every time.

3 Likes

If you want to be 100% sure it won’t happen again, set your target altitude to 10200ft, then don’t set it below until your speed is at or below 245knts, this way, worst comes to the worst you sit at 10000ft for 20 seconds while you lose speed.

1 Like

TIP: You don’t have to descend below 10,000ft

16 Likes

use spoiler , also gear down for a minute help a lot with reducing your speed quickly and avoid getting speed violation

1 Like

Yeah I was landing in Vancouver from Sydney earlier and this monster would not slow down so I had to deploy gear a bit early, I fly the 777 a lot and it seems like you have to do a shallow descent from far out for the plane to not be a monster to your violations, personally I start descending really early to prevent any violations… I learned this the hard way

2 Likes

Unless you want to land I’d think you do.

1 Like

Brilliant input. Really, thanks so much.

Now as it relates to the topic, you can always level off and reduce your speed rather than gaining self-inflicted violations as you overspeed through 10,000ft. 🙂

11 Likes

Lol, one time I wasn’t paying attention and I was going into JFK and I was Fl360 10nm out 😵

1 Like

Well it makes sense, you just made a vague statement that’s all. No need to be rude either. I’m not denying your point at all, I think if you’re too fast it’s a good idea to bleed off speed at FL100.

1 Like

Jesus, you must’ve been an example on one of Tim’s ATC posts 💀

1 Like

Tyler wasn’t being rude. He was giving answers to the topic on how to slow down a 777 not an altitude to land:) or how to descend below 10,000 and not get violations.

2 Likes

It was just the sarcasm. Let’s keep it on topic and move on though.

1 Like

Fly the 757, it slows down automatically in the air and on the ground…in real life it wouldn’t do that 😉
As mentioned above use speed brakes/spoilers

2 Likes

The B767 is the opposite of the B757. On the ground the B767 walks alone even with 0 of power and no wind influence. N1 is high.
Of course, they need rework.

1 Like

Well, I’ve flown the 777 many times and I’ve never gotten a speed violation. The best thing is to descend from a farther distance than planned but a slow rate as pointed out above by @Kyan_Perry.

Another way is to descend normally until FL110 where I’d level off and reduce speed to <250kts(I prefer using 240kts below 10000ft) then you continue your descent at a slower rate keeping eyes on the airspeed.

Whichever methodology you want to use is up to you. I hope you enjoy flying that beast 😀

2 Likes