777 flaps question

There’s no issue just a genuine question. But why do the flaps on the 777-200 take so long to extend and retract? Surely I’m not the only one that’s noticed

It is how it is in real life. The specifics I’m not quite sure as to why it takes that long. It’s a bigger aircraft. Having flaps retract very fast can have negative performance outcomes which can give you a jolt of lift since it’s so sudden if it were to be a fast transition. Also forgot to add when I initially posted this that flaps cause drag which slows you down. This is why lowering your flaps from a certain setting to the next setting is important to maintain a suitable speed. I’m sure that it’s a slow transition to help the transition and to reduce the amount of drag as would lowering the flaps extremely fast wouldn’t help much.

15 Likes

Here’s a video where you can see the flaps retracting. It’s taking quite some time.

-> 11:30
3 Likes

Maybe it’s something to do with the 777’s High Lift Control System? I’m intrigued now 🙂

1 Like

I am pretty sure it helps the aircraft not to pitch up to drastically in a short amount of time. Instead you can lower the flaps and only start slowing down when you do so (at low speeds). If you look at the other aircraft in If, they all pitch up drastically when the flaps are extended due to the amount of drag created in a short time. This leads to you might being left above the glideslope which then leads to your aircraft nosediving , recovering too late because of the Autopilot in IF and pitching up again which continues until you manually start flying (at least this happens to me)

2 Likes