777-200 not following fpl

When I turn on Lnav, it follows my route like it should. About 30 minutes later it started slowly turning left without me noticing. It kept on turning for the next 2 hours (I was studying so I didnt notice). Once I got close to my VNAV descent I looks on my map and noticed Im waaaaay off course. My route was from Launda to Cape town.

3 Likes

Make sure your NAV Source is GPS, I’ve made a few mistakes because of this before

1 Like

It is set to gps🙂

Hmmm…odd…are you sure that LNAV was enabled and not just HDG

it did it to me today aswell. It was because of a sharp turn i had in my fpl so it was taking it wide

1 Like

In order to avoid this make sure you guys dont have to fixes really close together that would lead to a sharp turn that will eventually lead to this.

2 Likes

If that happened then it would have turned back onto his FPL rather than just going off course like that.

it was the STAR that JNB was using

2 Likes

As long as you dont do that the LNAV wont have to stress and it will follow the fpl instead of reacting to a miss fix

2 Likes

Your speed is also a factor. Dont go into a sharp turn to fast with to close fixes when landing or taking off

1 Like

@Kevinsoto1502 and @Saharsh if he had two points too close together - his plane would have done circles trying to get to the second waypoint rather than just going in a line off course as depicted in the OP’s image.

@BennyBoy Im just saying some scenarios that could be causing it

Like he said it happened when he was on the STAR so he couldve missed the fkx and the plane couldve veered off

He was flying from Luanda to Cape Town and his plane went off course towards the start of his flight - so the STAR is completely irrelevant.

2 Likes

@BennyBoy ;)

1 Like

forgot ab what i said

He was flying from FNLU to FACT - FAOR had nothing to do with it he just ended up there.

If you look at the image he is no where near Johannesburg.

1 Like

But he said he was using the STAR ay JNB

No he wasn’t - look at the OP’s image he is no where near Johannesburg.

In my opinion he probably set the incorrect airport

1 Like