757 Unofficial Takeoff & Landing Profiles

Lake Tahoe, California

Welcome to the Unofficial Takeoff and Landing Profiles guide for the Boeing 757! This gorgeous aircraft comes with two powerful engines to get you off the ground at airports with runways as short as 5700ft. With this power, its important to understand how and when to use these engines as well as the flaps to its max in short field situations.

This brief guide should get you into the air as well as on your way to a successful landing in just a few minutes. The table below should be pretty self explanatory for the most part, but please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Please read through the notes sections throughout the topic as well as at the end of this tutorial for further clarification on some of the items found within the table.

Bonus: There is a Quick Reference Guide at the end of this tutorial. You’re more than welcome to download and save the PDF for imminent and future use.

Table of Contents

Purpose
Conditions
Takeoff & Landing Table
Flaps
General Notes
B757 QRG

Purpose:

The purpose of this guide is to provide you with ball park speeds, flap settings, and power settings to get you in the air and onto the runway in one piece. These values are not 100% accurate as each flight is different. Weather, airport elevation, weight, runway length and other factors will affect your these values.

Conditions:

Tests were conducted at Honolulu International Airport (PHNL) /// Airport Elev. 13ft \\\

• Winds Calm
  • Runway 08R
  • Temperature Standard (15˚C)
  • All initial pitch angles were 15˚ nose up until 1000ft. AFE (Above Field Elevation) before pitch was dropped to increase speed
  • Heavy Departure/Landing conducted at 98% load. Adjust as necessary.

Boeing-Logo 757-200

Load % Takeoff Power Takeoff Flaps Rotate Airborne by Landing Flaps Final App. ‡ Flare/Touchdown
25% 72% = 84% N1 Flaps 5 125kts 145kts Flaps 30 125kts 120kts
50% 77% = 90% N1 Flaps 5 / 15** 135kts 150kts Flaps 30 135kts 130kts
75% 83% = 95% N1 Flaps 5 / 15** 140kts 155kts Flaps 30 145kts 140kts
>75%*** 86% = 97% N1 Flaps 15** 150kts 170kts Flaps 30 150kts 145kts

• Landing flare pitch should be about 2.5˚ nose up.
  • Descent rate should not exceed -1000ft/min on final approach

**Note: Depending on the length of runway, weight, terrain and other considerations, a higher flap setting may be desired.

Extra note: At airports such as KSNA, KSAN and KDCA where the 757 has operated IRL, Flaps 15 were predominately used due to runway length. PHLI departures would use Flaps 20 due to heavy transpacific loads and short runway use. Be cautious of aircraft weight and use an appropriate amount of power for takeoff.

***Heavy Departures/Landings: Takeoffs over 75% may result in takeoff over Maximum Takeoff Weight (MTOW). This may also result in runway overruns. This could lead to overweight landings depending on your configuration. Consider all factors and risks.

‡ Note: APPR is disabled for landings greater than the load below for where the Maximum Landing Weight (MLW) lies:

• 64%

Flaps:

For reference the flap and various limitations for each setting are listed below. These can also be found in the cockpit of the 757 on the flap indicator gauge, to the left of the gear lever.

Flaps Speed Limitation
1 240 kts
5 220 kts
15 210 kts
20 195 kts
25 190 kts
30 162 kts

General Notes:

• For 25-50% loads, Flaps 5 was used for data
  • For 75-100% load, Flaps 15 was used for data
  • "Airborne By" indicates a speed that you should be off the ground no later than. By the time you reach this speed, you should be in the climb and gear in the retraction process.
  • Takeoff Power - The first percentage is your throttle amount. The second value is the N1 read out as indicated in green above your throttle.
  • 100% throttle should never be used. Aircraft in the real world very rarely exceed 100% as this is mainly used for emergencies only.
  • 25% trim was used to conduct these tests

Note: Fuel flow, thrust and other aircraft performance factors may apply.

Boeing 757 QRG:

If you would like a quick reference guide, you’re more than welcome to utilize this one that I’ve condensed into a 1 page sheet. It has just about everything you’ll want to know in terms of “What do I use for takeoff/cruise/landing?” and “When do I add/remove flaps or power?”. Below is a screenshot of what this document looks like as well as a PDF download link for that crisp picture and saving for future use.

Revised: 12.15.2020

Questions?

Feel free to add any questions or other helpful tips/pointers that you may find beneficial to others and myself or our helpful community members will gladly address those.

Please also check out other guides I have created for other recently new/reworked aircraft. I plan on making this “unofficial” series a regular thing as aircraft are reworked or new from the factory as a handful of folks seem to appreciate the quick start information.

Have fun! ✈️

109 Likes

Great tutorial Deer! I was waiting for you to release it, lol. Anyway, now I have a bit more reference on how to fly the 757 cause I’m not too good at it. :)

2 Likes

This is great!! Thank you so much!

1 Like

I’ll generally drop the topic on release day as dropping it early doesn’t quite make sense in the grand scheme of things. If you guys have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask! 🙂

5 Likes

Nice very good take and landing profiles guide , I like how you do theses which each reworked aircraft !

1 Like

That’s Deer! My bookmarks will soon be every planes takeoff and landing profiles! Can’t wait 😊

3 Likes

Wow nice tutorial! This is going to help me fly the 757 In a correct way thank you so much for making it!

Very helpful tutorial!
I find the handling of 757 different from many other aircrafts. I will use this as a reference to practice!

Lovely! Thank you very much!

Awesome, didn’t know they used flaps 20 at PHLI. Will be sure to try that sometime.

Thanks so much for this topic! This will really help for the future! Now we have a topic to link people to if they are stuck.

Here’s another “poem”

By the name of aviation

Or the name of the vehicles

Or the Boeing 757

Kilos of flying and weight

My bookmark is here

A useful and greatful thread

Roar those great engines

Kind of great plane the Pencil

Ensure you butter it

Ding Dong got my bookmark @DeerCrusher

2 Likes

Thank you for making this! So useful !!!

I wanted to already PM you if you could make this! Thank you so much! The B777 profiles helped me so much! Bookmarked!

Beautiful Deer! Always a pleasure to see your work 👏🏾

Wonderful guide, I’ll be using this when I fly the new 757!

Does 757 need to use extra flaps at KSAN, I was under the impression the runway was more than long enough for a 757.

What changed with APR mode? Landing on altitude and speed, “LOC Alt” illuminates on the APR mode button 😩

Hey Michael!

Great question! When APPR mode is tapped on, it arms LOC and ALT. This is considered “ARMED” when LOC & GS are flashing. It will level out and hold your present altitude and heading respectively. During this “flashing orange/armed” state, you are free to adjust your altitude and heading as you wish. Climb, descent and anything else you’d like to do with the autopilot. Heading change included.

As soon as you capture the LOC, Heading will be deactivated as the AP is now in control. Altitude is still operated by you if you wish. As soon as GS lights up green, AP now has control of your vertical guidance and you can consider this “ACTIVE”.

Remember, if it lights up green, you cannot adjust that aspect of flight as the autopilot is in control now. If LOC and/or GS are flashing orange, you are free to adjust as you wish.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any further questions!

-Matt

2 Likes

What trim would you recommend using on the standard mid length flight on departure and arrival. (I realize this is highly variable on conditions).

20-30% is a good range to play around with.

1 Like