757 flight physics question

Hi All,

I’ve done a few flights now in the new 757 and I’m happy to say it’s one of my favorite aircraft reworks since probably forever. It does however have a few handling and performance traits which I have never seen on other aircraft. They are as follows:

• slippery runway handling with a crosswind
  • stubbornly slow rotation
  • erratic autothrottle (what I mean by this is when flying with AP on, the throttle will instantaneously go up or down ~5% without any other changes in flight. I was thinking that the 757 was more sensitive to wind changes, or just a new mechanic that reflects all real-world aircraft better?)

I’m not a know-it-all over the 757, but I am hoping that some of you guys are. Are these reflective of the real-life aircraft? If so, that is really cool!

Thanks in advance.

8 Likes

Hello,
The reworked 757 is based upon real life physics. It’s a VERY sensitive aircraft so it reflects how a real life 757 works! Especially rudder! Best thing to do is practice practice practice and I’m sure you will be able to fly it perfectly in no time!

9 Likes

I have not had this issue I think you should check how you fly before Blatantly blaming it on th aircraft. Totally my words and not @Thunderbolt

1 Like

I have my sensitivity pretty low, but I’ve never had to yank on the “yoke” harder than on the 757 with perhaps the exception of the 767.

1 Like

And tbh I don’t think most of us could say anything about physics as we have never flow a 757 irl.

Well, perhaps there are some current or ex 757 pilots in here, you never know. Also, a dev would likely know why the 757 handles as it does.

1 Like

Reason why I said most

Absolutely not whats happened here.

Hey @Haifan_Day, I was lucky enough to fly this girl during beta and the aircraft does indeed have some traits that makes it difficult to fly. Whats worth noting is the engines are really over powered just like the real model, your N1 percentages should be considerably lower than what you would employ on the similar A321.

The slippy crosswind issue stems from the light aircraft and large tail. As said previously it just takes practice. During high crosswind departures, use less throttle and make sure you are pushing the nose down until 80kts when steering moves from the wheel to rudder.

The AP function happens across the IF fleet and isnt truly representational of real world full stop. Its just something we need to live with but if you watch the N1, that doesn’t move much as the engines take longer spool up and down.

6 Likes

Thanks man! I’m still a bit rusty on crabbing in the beast, but it otherwise is a lot of fun to fly. Happy Anniversary!

1 Like

Lol I was just mess around bc that’s what @Thunderbolttold be when the plane was tilting to the side a lot even with no winds

On top of what’s been said, the FCOM is easy to find online and is very helpful regarding the TO conf/vr/altitude/weight equation.

2 Likes

If I may add something, Ifound something strange this morning, which never happened to le before with other aircrafts:

In climb under 10.000ft, had to use pretty low N1 to avoid violation/ludicrously high VS. But then, I had to push for some more power to reach cruise altitude in a reasonnable time (20min.)

Am I the only one having experienced this?

No you are not. Now that I think about it, it it happened all the time

1 Like

Same here!

1 Like

Thanks to both of you.
I have flown this plane very little still, but I find it marvellous and somehow truely different from other aircrafts…

I’ve noticed when activating the autopilot or imputing the altitude the aircraft violently pitches down 5 degrees. I thought that was a problem fixed with the 777.

2 Likes

I think the landing gear needs improvement.

I use 60% N1 so then I don’t rotate at 500 feet down the runway lol

I guess we will just have to get used to it, if it’s modeled after the real physics.

2 Likes

Sure, but you cannot reach cruise level at 60%, can you?

1 Like

What’s your approach speed?? You should always do a Xwind approach with more speed (around 155-150kt) for the 75