747: By the Numbers

IMG_5439
Though it’s numbers have been reduced, the unmistakeable silhouette of the Boeing 747 continues to turn heads. Currently, the largest operator of the -400 is British Airways with 36. Atlas Air and China Airlines top the list for the -400F with 19 and 18 respectively. Lufthansa leads the pack with the -8I having 19 in their fleet. And Cargolux holds the title for most -8Fs with 14 examples. It seems that BA and LH offer the best chances if you want to take a flight on the Queen of the Skies before it fades into aviation history. (Photo Credit: WordPress)

24 Likes

Sadly British airways are now slowly retiring the 747. They used to have more.☹️

9 Likes

I don’t quite see the point in this topic, you have just told us a couple facts… there’s not really much to discuss, the 747 & the A380 are both slowly making their departure. When I say slowly I mean slowly, there is still 10 years on them at least.

4 Likes

BA have retrofitted many of their B747 aircraft and so they should hopefully be in the fleet longer then those disgusting old B772 aircraft. The BA cabin on the B747 has mood lighting and the latest IFE so it’s pretty much as good as it gets.

7 Likes

I’m just trying to provide some numbers for those who want to take a flight on one of the remaining 747s, and also make it easier to locate this amazing aircraft while plane spotting.

3 Likes

Qantas might also be a good bet in case you want to fly the queen before it fades out into aviation history.

@Luke if you don’t think this topic is worthy of being in the community, flag it.
Thanks!

4 Likes

Nope, I was simply just questioning it. ;)

Anyway, I just looked at Wikipedia and it says there is currently 46 airlines operating the B747. (It's Wikipedia though, so it could and most probably is incorrect.)
2 Likes

Also it is probably mostly just freighters and BBJs, BCFs and old stored 747s that only get to fly in substitution or charter flights.

1 Like

How dare you say that😂😂😂

3 Likes

It’s the truth. A lot of them show their age badly and they are just as old as the B747’s BA have if not older in some cases. I flew both with the new interiors and still the B747 was miles better.

3 Likes

I really hope the picture you provided is yours…Otherwise, I would be ranting about photo theft.

2 Likes

Im guessing it is his photo

1 Like

It’s not my photo. The only credit listed was WordPress (which I properly cited), not the name of the photographer.

Unfortunately I haven’t ever been on a 747 but I went to Frankfurt Airport a few days ago.
I saw 747-4’s as well as 8’s. What a beautiful aircraft!

1 Like

Beautiful bird! Don’t want to see them go :(

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

747s are amazing. I was lucky enough to fly on the CX (Cathay Pacific) 747-400 to Tokyo (and back) before it went out of service. It’s sad to think that in a not so distant future, these planes will be old fossils.

1 Like

I’m very fortunate to have been on 4 B747-400s just this year! They’re so old inside, and many things unfortunately break on every B747-400 Flight I go on but they are an incredible aircraft nonetheless. However, the retirement is needed, badly as passenger comfort is a lot lower than on other aircraft, so for longer haul flights they just aren’t as good as the 380 and 787 for example. I am an avgeek and I can safely say when you go on a long long haul flight on one (when they’re not refurbished), the passengers are slightly dissapointed with the quality of the aircraft, I’ve seen a few complain about issues on every flight I’ve been on. Here’s a picture I took in the summer whilst on one:

4 Likes