747-400 at SXM will be gone 10/30/16

KLM will cease operating the Boeing 747-400 to SXM starting 10/30/16, instead using an Airbus A330-200. Additionally, the SXM flight will be direct AMS-SXM instead of via CUR (CUR gets the Boeing 747-400)

12 Likes

Noooooo!! I wish I had a chance to go before 10/30 ;_;

5 Likes

I guess Maho Beach will be desolate after 10/30 :/

5 Likes

A330? Damn thought it will be like a 77W or 789

Sorry for the beach goers they won’t get anymore 747 four engine thrust anymore. This is going to make the plane surfers sad/mad.

2 Likes

Errr. KLM has one of most fantastic colors on the 747. KLM has a long story with the 747 too!

a330 will never replace the 747.

1 Like

We still have the Air France A340. I went there and saw it take off…

From the wrong end of the runway (my dad forgot his passport when he was leaving early so we took a cab to get him).

Yeah but the 747’s engines are something people would like because more power. But yeah they will still be having the Air France A340.

Yep. There’s nothing like seeing a massive 744 fly over that beach. Quite sad for avgeeks

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

It’s very possible to see it at other airports, just not SXM. Don’t lose hope :)

1 Like

What really?
I first thought they would cease it because the 747s are simply too old yet, but if it flies to a different destination instead, why was it necessary?
Was there not enough passengers or interest in the route, because they directly dropped it down to the A332?

This might cause a decrease of the number of tourists at Saint Maarten, I mean, Maho Beach is of course not the only beach, but the 747s approaching over it are one of the islands most famous, if not the most famous tourist attraction.

Oh well, Airbus will dominate the Heavy arrivals there then. (Which I wouldn’t be sad about Airbuuuuuuus!)

1 Like

I think Airfrance will soon exchange their A340s with A330neos or B777s or will use their B767s. The A340-300 is not the environment-friendliest plane as you may know, really sad to see Airbus’ former flagship go, majestic plane!

2 Likes

1 Like

It was my dream to go there. Now it won’t be the same.

1 Like

Prob like a 772. AF has a ton of those

Oh well. TNCM’s three times a week visitor will stop visiting in four months. Thank heavens they aren’t closing down the entire airport.

There is no age limit. My brother was 8 when he was jet blasted by the Air France A340.

2 Likes