747-400 5th Engine

A Qantas 747 having a spare engine fitted to it, to transport it to another aircraft in South Africa.

Very cool and interesting, never seen this before

http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/roo-tales/that-time-when-we-strapped-an-extra-engine-on-to-a-jumbo/

11 Likes

I can see the face of the passengers.

2 Likes

Go to this video for the behind the scenes https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfA3I_cALs

4 Likes

I had to go and read the article…and check the date, to see that it wasn’t 1st of April!

1 Like

I’ve seen this before on a northwest 747. It was a crash landing but I forgot the flight number on it.

Apparently the 5th engine was not usable instead they attached it under the wing to ferry it instead of putting it in a crate and what not.

i here that the l10ll can carry 1 extra engine 2 which just amazing

2 Likes

Of course it isn’t usable. The 747 only has space for four working engines as it’s designed that way.

1 Like

This is so cool, I saw it on Qantas’ Instagram page

Same it was cool looking from the inside

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

That’s a strange sight… Does it just sit there? No thrust added or anything? Just bolted to the wing? Weird. Seems almost like a disadvantage to shipping it in a crate.

Pretty much yeah. They said in the video that they put it on the wing as opposed to shipping it or chartering a freighter is both time and cost

I guess they did not have room to put it in the cargo hold

@Cargoluxgroupceo it is too big to fit in the cargohold

1 Like

this dosnt make sence to me, if you all 5 engines at fullthrust or all at the same thrust, wouldn’t the plane do a turn on the side without the other engine ?? like oneside there is 3 engines and on the other side there is 2 engines wouldn’t the side with 2 engines turn to the side that has 2 engines ??

1 Like

Yes, but that is exactly what the plane counts. A plane can operate with only 3 engines in the case that one of the engines fail. The airplane automatically counts how much thrust it needs to put on all engines without the pilot having to think about that. @Aernout knows a lot about this ;)

1 Like

ahh I see thank you

1 Like

The 5th engine isnt putting out any thrust, imfact is causing drag.

1 Like

yes if you have a look through the linked article @Mr.Jatt you will see that Qantas bolted the 5th engine on only in order to transport it quickly to the new location in order to be fitted on two a second 747 as a replacement engine. Cheaper and quicker than chartering a freighter aircraft (or ship!) in order to take it there!

Bet some interesting maths was done to work out the stability and drag calulations to ensure it could be safely done

1 Like