739 hole glitch

Hello everyone,as I’m flying KLGA KATL in a 739,I notice two holes on the belly area Of the plane and I’m wondering why it’s there.First time I’ve seen it on the 739

Those are “air inlets.” This is a feature on real world planes so they also appear on many different aircraft in Infinite Flight.

It’s not a glitch at all, rather a really cool detail. Just goes to show how much effort the developers put into each aircraft to make it look almost like reality. :)

Underbelly of a 737 aircraft with air inlets circled.

There is a “left” and “right” pack, which supply air to the forward and aft part of the aircraft respectively (although either pack can supply enough air to keep the aircraft pressurized to its max altitude). They use high temperature/high pressure bleed air from the engines or APU, but they also get airflow from the ambient air which is used to cool the bleed air. The inlet noted in the question is where the ambient air enters, and there are exhaust vents for this air on the bottom of the aircraft. THIS air isn’t used for the pressurization per se (i.e. it doesn’t enter the cabin), but just for cooling the air that will enter the cabin (which came from the compressor in the engines/APU, upstream of the combustion chamber).Source

3 Likes

Oh it looked to me it was a hole in the cargo pit but ok thank u for the info will keep in mind!

They don’t really look like vents to me in IF just looks like holes but it’s nice the developing team is detailed as possible

I assure you these are vents. Just take a look at the other aircraft (especially the recent ones). You’ll see these same vents just under the wing area. :)

1 Like

These are called NACA ducts. They are a unique design used to assist in reduction of disturbance for the air of the inlet . A simple hole or “square/rectangular” opening would yield turbulent air on the backside of the inlet. This could lead to a decrease in performance for whatever that inlet is being used for.

Many sports cars these days are starting to look to the aviation industry as an example of how to make their cars more efficient and powerful. Power = speed. By increasing the performance of the intake you’re getting more power or juice out of that specific component.

The history/concept of NACA ducts can be found in Flying Magazines article that they published quite some time ago. It’ll likely be confusing, but I provided you the hopeful “plain english” version above for your understanding.

https://www.flyingmag.com/scoop-naca-scoop

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.