738 cruise speed

What is a good cruise speed for a fully loaded 738 heading to san diego from OGG?

1 Like

Mach 0.78 usually

1 Like

I’m at .80 @FL400 and its rocking back and fourth, I know its my alt so what should I decend and maintain?

1 Like

It’s more of the altitude, as a fully loaded for a 5 hour flight, try starting at 32000 or 34000 ft

1 Like

Alright thanks, I’m way too high lol

1 Like

Wow FL400 is wayyyy too much

1 Like

Mach 0.80 is fine

1 Like

Mid ascension at like FL310 I saw had 7hrs worth of fuel and just gunned it all the way up to FL400, which ended up burning a hilariously large amount of fuel and now i’m not sure I have enough, I put about 6 hours worth in the plane. Edit: I have 4:40 of fuel with an ETE to dest of 4:10 i’ll be fine.

1 Like

What you should do is always put fuel as follows:
Usual Flight time (check FR24) + 2 hours of fuel.
In your case you would want to put 7h and 30min of fuel
And flying too high, too early and too heavy is a really bad idea.

4 Likes

Try slowing down a bit to reduce consumption 🙂

I’m doing .78 now, that seems to be working well.

1 Like

The 738 typically cruises between .76 - 78, almost never .80 and sometimes .79

2 Likes

Idk why they cruise below the max speed. They could get to places so much faster if they flew at like M.86 (which at least on IF isn’t overspeed).

1 Like

I believe it has to do with fuel efficiency. They have to strike the optimal balance between speed and fuel efficiency.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong

4 Likes

Remember fuel cost money, in IF a you might be able to go unrealistically fast. But in the real world airlines need to make a profit off of majority of their flights, cruising at M.86 will abolish that for a lot of airlines. And then there’s airframe restrictions weather and all that good stuff that determines a cruising speed.

1 Like

If you want to get technical, it’s a thing called cost index that determines your speed and fuel rate. SAN-OGG is flown by a Southwest 738 and 38M, and SWA’s cost index is 36 to my knowledge. That’s about M.776. But in Infinite Flight, you can’t get that specific so you’d round up to 78.

Each airline has it’s own cost index though, the numbers can vary from around 5 to 50 (I’m probably wrong on that one).

For your scenario though, seems like you bolted up to FL400 as you and others stated, you can utilize a step-climb and start off at around FL340 and work your way up to your desired cruise altitude in 2000ft incriminates. There’s an awesome tutorial for it I linked below created by IF themselves!

4 Likes

Thanks for this, and I know what mistakes I made, I’ve been playing for a very long time and am learning how to do things smoother!

2 Likes

That’s very interesting thanks.

1 Like