3D Airports

Why hasn’t Chicago’s O’Hare (KORD) been made 3D? It’s one of the busiest airports in the world. What’s wrong?

1 Like

3D Airports are manually selected by the 3D airport creators. They can choose whatever airport they want to make 3D.

4 Likes

To add to what Callaa said above, the big airports like KORD take much longer to build - which may be part of the reason why it’s not 3D yet, it may just be work in progress.

7 Likes

All airports around the world will be 3D, maybe the volunteers are currently working on them, it’s only a matter of time until KORD is ready to be released

1 Like

The selection process for 3D buildings varies a lot between editors. Some prefer smaller airports, some rather larger ones. Naturally, larger airports will take longer to edit, and not to mention, Chicago O’hare is no exception.

In addition to this, Chicago O’hare has had a new terminal built, which means that reference imagery may not be up to date and was complete only recently. This means that whoever is editing the airport, will have nothing short of a challenge.

Not to mention, the selection process for the editors is down solely on the editor themselves. They are able to choose any airport in the world, and often, may want to stick to smaller airports in order to make things easier for themselves. If you wish to read further about the selection process, I’ve linked a post by Jason which explains how airports are selected.

18 Likes

Don’t worry man, patience is key here. I’m still personally waiting on Ted Stevens Anchorage International (PANC). Even though it is the fourth busiest cargo airport in the world it has yet to be built too. (Plus it actually connects to its neighboring GA airfield Hood Lake (the busiest seaplane base in the world) PAHL.) Hang in there!

3 Likes

If you have ramp access at O’Hare and want to supply a walk-around video or photos of the new terminal, please let us know 😜

17 Likes

Disclaimer: I am in no way attempting to pressure the airport editors - I think they’re doing a great job with a potentially infinite choice of work.

I did see today in Google Earth… ORD with 9C/27C finished, and some of the work in progress across 9R/27L.

Yay!

3 Likes

Wooo! Big airports take lots of time. Especially if they have ongoing construction