350000EXP Decided to attempt Kai Tak for the first time. Danang to Hong Kong

I have read about it watched videos of it listen to pilots and passengers describe it so I thought after really getting to know the 787-9 I would take the challenge of flying the Kai Tak approach Hong Kong. Its difficult to say the least given the research. No auto pilot System approach works here and the famous Stonecutter Hill the last land mark denotes your on short final 2 miles from the runway threshold @ 600 AGL and it’s also the beginning of the infamous 47 degree right hand turn to line up for landing. No wonder passengers found it unsettling as the low altitude manoeuvre banking steeply to line up with RWY 13 at 160 kts meant that they could see people’s television sets on in people’s apartments. I managed to get it done but roll out wasn’t my best. I look forward to visiting again.

Details
VVDN to VHHX
Server - Training
Flight Duration 1 hour 35 minutes
Aircraft - Boeing 787-9
Power - 2x Rolls Royce Trent engines.

Rotate

Gear Up

The 47 degree turn at 2 miles at Stonecutters Hill line up to land Rwy 13.

Give it a go it’s not easy but worth the challenge. Stay safe.

13 Likes

Is it worth looking at an approach chart for that one?

1 Like

Definitefly, you got to make sure to learn that approach off by heart if you want to land there.

Don’t underestimate Kai Tak.

1 Like

I might do my homework and give it a try! By homework I mean read up on it, approach charts etc…

1 Like

Haha, enjoy it Luke. It’s actually pretty fun!

1 Like

Yep I think so I did a bit research really helped

Go for it good luck!

1 Like

I’ve never been able to nail that approach, looks like you can, great job, and great photos!

1 Like

Beginners luck @Butter_Boi

1 Like

Listen to @Vinne it happens so fast you gotta prepare.

1 Like