3 Planes using Pratt & Whitney engines fail within a 10 days of each other, coincidence? I think not

Hello IFC, I assume everyone has heard of at least one engine failure that happened within the last 10 days, A Longtail Aviation 747-400F, A United 777-200ER, and a Delta 757-200, all three operating on Pratt & Whitney engines, if you don’t know, Pratt & Whitney engines are quite hollow, which makes them shake and vibrate during flight, at high thrust, it can do a windmill motion, this motion can strain the parts of the engine, which might be the culprit of these engine failures, especially the United 777, poor maintinence, or bird strikes could be causes, but the fact the engines are quite hollow and the fact they have lots of vibration and motion during flight shows that its probably Pratt & Whitney’s fault.

I will update this topic if there is new info released by the FAA.

Links to articles about the 3 flights,

[

Delta 757 with ‘engine issue’ makes emergency landing in …

](https://wreg.com/news/developing-delta-757-unexpectedly-diverted-to-slc-international-airport/)
[

Longtail Aviation Boeing 747 Suffers Uncontained Engine …

](Longtail Aviation Boeing 747 Suffers Uncontained Engine Failure | Airways Magazine)
[
[

NTSB Shares Damage Experienced By United 777 Engine …

](NTSB Shares Damage Experienced By United 777 Engine Failure - Simple Flying)

15 Likes

There is definetly some question behind why it is happening!

Don’t forget that many planes have been pulled back from extended grounding (over a year in some cases) due to COVID, and there probably wasn’t a whole lot, if any, maintenance done to them while grounded

9 Likes

But one of them was a 747F, and I would think during this last year those wouldn’t be grounded at all, that business has been thriving so it could be something else

I’m not at all discrediting legit issues that may cause such failures, rather I’m simply pointing out that there may be other causes for them

1 Like

It’s been well documented on the forum - I have said my piece among the posts and I do think it is a coincidence that it is linked with the P&W engines but its far too early to draw conclusions imo.

1 Like

Me and X guy were talking about this like 2 hours ago on how the engines are hollow on these things and the United flight was windmilling which is a sign of a very light engine/turbines. They really should the fan blades thicker in some way

This is likely a coincidence given the 2000 and 4000 models have had decades of almost flawless operation on the 747, 757, and 777. Like @Raze said a lot of aircraft have had to sit on the ground for months on end due to COVID and it was likely not many of these aircraft received maintenance.

1 Like

For now it’s bad timing and reports are somewhat blowing it up.

Engine issues happen nearly every day. For example, on January 31, there were four reported engine issues:

• 1x GE CF34 Engine
  • 2x GE CF6 Engines
  • 1x PowerJet SaM146 Engine

The 747 and 767 with GE CF6s both had reported “emitting bangs and streaks of flames”, yet no one really cared, because these typically happen all the time.

Also, on February 17 and 20, two separate aircraft with CFM56 engines had issues:

https://avherald.com/h?article=4e356152&opt=0

https://avherald.com/h?article=4e330427&opt=0

The February 17 one had “Metallic particles were found in the engine’s exhaust pipe after landing.”

Two P&W engines blowing up and scattering metal on people below is notable, but for now, it’s more of a coincidence.

11 Likes

We have an imposter among us

According to Planespotters.net, VQ-BWT (the 744) was only parked for 1 month in October, and N819DX (the 752) and N772UA (the 772) were never parked. While the first two incidents signify that something is wrong with the PW4000, like Ishrion said, engine issues happen all the time, and the 757 event was probably reported on just because it has PW engines.

4 Likes

It is the way of the media networks, at least the American ones.

The reason in my view that the United 772 got so much attention is because the flight itself was loaded with over 200 passengers. Not only that, a few people I know were spotting the same day and shared it on social media which is what really spread the news. The Delta 757 and this accident are only really being noticed because of the prior incident with United.

If that never had happen, it would be a typical incident, but majority of social media are a little naive when it comes to aircraft operations so they speculate the cause and it leads to Boeing.

Not sure if they really know much about engine manufacturers and PW. But like @Ishrion said, these accidents happen everyday. There was once a day in 2019 where 4 PW engine issues occurred , I don’t remember seeing it on the news though.

3 Likes

what program/website did you use to find that catalog?

Pratt and Whitney better come out to the public and explain if not, I’m pretty sure the NTSB will turn into the one thing it hates most…

The F.B.I puts on sunglasses

1 Like

avherald.com

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

American media is generally a horrible source for information about aviation related incidents simple because they don’t know what they’re talking about. Places like AvHerald are much more reliable when it comes to these incidents.

The only reason the United flight got coverage was because of the debris which led to people freaking out. At this time, basically everything is speculation. The NTSB is doing their report, but as Ishrion noted, engine failures happen on the daily.

8 Likes

Hmm true it must be a coincidence

1 Like

The PW2000 and the PW4000 are completely different engines. It’s just a pure coincidence, add the fact that the aircraft had likely been stored for a long time. In addition, the PW2000 on the DL 757 has a very good track record, so I wouldn’t say that it’s a design flaw with that engine. With the PW4000, we have the FAA, the Japanese etc to investigate.

If you look at avherald.com, you’ll see that many minor incidents happen, but are handled well by the aircrew. At this rate, we could as well ground all the conmercial airliners.

In addition, it has been a slow couple of weeks for the media, an incident such as the UA 777 or the DL 757 would easily get ‘over-coverage’ as @MrMrMan has said above. My advice, as an avgeek, just focus on the facts, which would seldom be the main point of emphasis in the media.

1 Like