263 Countries and Territories in 263 Days

With the introduction of Regional Controlling, IFATC has provided controllers with a new form of freedom, where controllers are able to control in any country they wish to control in, so long as it’s within their region.

Now that it has taken effect, I’ve made it my goal to control in 263 countries and territories within 263 days. This means that I will be controlling in a different country everyday, for the next 263 days. This is due to start on the 6th of May, 2021, and is due to end on the 24th of January, 2022, which would coincide with the first year anniversary since I’ve joined IFATC.

Perhaps there are people who are wondering how I landed on 263. And granted, while the number of countries in the world can vary due to many different reason, I’ve stuck it down to two different lists; the list of member states in the United Nations*, as well as a list of overseas territories. A link to the lists can be found at the bottom on this post.

Occasional updates about my progress will be made in the form of comments on this thread!

Sure, people may ask me, what’s so special about this, since there are plenty of other people also doing something similar. Well, to put it simply, since there are 10 regions to control, and having a region change every 30 days, it’ll take at a minimum 300 days for me to complete this. However, since Tuesdays are a free, I will use this as a day for me to explore out of my assigned region and look for new countries and airports to open!

On a slightly more personal note, I’ve always emphasised that discipline is something that defines a person, and with a challenge like this, it’ll push me to be persistent too. People who know me, know me to be a very stubborn person, and hopefully this perfectionist personality of mine can help me accomplish something personal to me.

Website to list of countries and overseas territories: list of countries and list of overseas territories.

*: Taiwan is not listed on the United Nation’s list of countries (for complicated reasons) but I’ve chosen to list them as a country anyways.

75 Likes

Wish you the best of luck for your challenge… hope I hear your commands while flying!

1 Like

Good luck! You can do it 💪:)

1 Like

Have a good time, and luck too.

1 Like

Best of luck mate! In what region are you ? I might meet you in some of your airspaces

1 Like

I’m currently in the Asian region. I’d be looking to open somewhere around 1200Z tomorrow. Airport is still undecided but if you take a look in the Asian ATC tracking thread I’ll be posting updates there.

2 Likes

That sounds amazing! I’m sure I’ll fly through one of your airspaces at some point. Wishing you all the best

2 Likes

7 May 2021

Hong Kong

Kai Tak International Airport (VHHX/HKG)

🇭🇰

For my first airport, I’ve opted to control Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong. This is possibly one of, if not the most iconic airport in the world, and starting off at this airport, I feel, is as appropriate as it could get.

MapChart_Map

1 Country and Territories Controlled, 262 Uncontrolled, 262 days to go

4 Likes

8 May 2021

Russia

Sochi International Airport (URSS/AER)

🇷🇺

Given that this was a Friday, Friday Night Flight schedules allowed me to control outside of my assigned region. As such I took this opportunity to control in the largest country in the world, Russia. Sochi has some absolutely wonderful scenery, and I highly suggest that you check that city out.

2 Country and Territories Controlled, 261 Uncontrolled, 261 days to go

6 Likes

9 May 2021

Mongolia

Tavan Tolgoi Airport (ZMTT)

🇲🇳

Saturday brings us back to our featured region, and I’ve taken this time to explore a country that’s not very well known. Mongolia is home to the great Genghis Khan, most well known for the Mongol Empire which is widely regarded to be one of the greatest of all time. All in all, this dry, cold and arid country doesn’t have much in the way of scenery, but it does cover a large land area, making it the 18th largest country in the world by land area.

3 Country and Territories Controlled, 260 Uncontrolled, 260 days to go

5 Likes

10 May 2021

Laos

Vientiane Wattay International Airport (VLVT/VTE)

🇱🇦

Today brings me to the only landlocked country in Southeast Asia. Being home to one of the fastest growing economy of the region, don’t be surprised to see this country being more and more familiar in time to come!

4 Country and Territories Controlled, 259 Uncontrolled, 259 days to go

4 Likes

11 May 2021

Indonesia

Sultan Hasanuddin International Airport (WAAA/UPG)

🇮🇩

From beaches of Bali to jungles of Kalimantan and the culture haven in Tana Toraja, Indonesia has a lot to offer, and while I’ve only explored Makassar due to sentimental reasons and familial ties, I’ll be sure to come back and explore more in this beautiful country!

5 Country and Territories Controlled, 258 Uncontrolled, 258 days to go

3 Likes

12 May 2021

Canada

Yellowknife Airport (CYZF/YZF)

🇨🇦

What’s better than controlling the largest country in the world in the last week? Controlling the second largest in the country. Canada is off the list, and that’s an entire region I won’t have to control for the rest of this thread.

6 Country and Territories Controlled, 257 Uncontrolled, 257 days to go

5 Likes

13 May 2021

Myanmar

Yangon International Airport (VYYY/RGN)

🇲🇲

Being the 11th largest country in Asia, slotting itself between 12th place Afghanistan and 10th place Turkey, Myanmar is surprisingly much larger than most expect. Myanmar is also rich in minerals, including metal ores, petroleum, and natural gas, making it one of the best countries, in terms of proximity to other regional powerhouses, as well as it being a growing economy.

7 Country and Territories Controlled, 256 Uncontrolled, 256 days to go

5 Likes

14 May 2021

Cambodia

Siem Reap International Airport (VDSR/REP)

🇰🇭

On the subject of being compared to the world, if you’re interested in looking for the longest Dragon Boat, Cambodia is the perfect place for you! Alongside that, Cambodia has many famous relics such as the famous Angkor Wat, as well as the shorelines of Sihanoukville Beaches.

8 Country and Territories Controlled, 255 Uncontrolled, 255 days to go

4 Likes

15 May 2021

United Kingdom

Edinburgh Airport (EGPH/EDI)

🇬🇧

Apart from being one of the greatest countries in the world, today, the United Kingdom is now ticked off the list of countries to be controlled.

9 Country and Territories Controlled, 254 Uncontrolled, 254 days to go

3 Likes

16 May 2021

Vietnam

Tân Sơn Nhất International Airport (VVTS/SGN)

🇻🇳

Known for its rich culinary world, you’d be hard pressed to find good food in Vietnam. With foods like Phở to Bánh mì to Bún bò Huế, travelling to Vietnam is an opportunity that can not be missed. Personally, I love Vietnam and its culture and cuisine, and I’ll be sure to go back when I’m able to.

10 Country and Territories Controlled, 253 Uncontrolled, 253 days to go

4 Likes

17 May 2021

South Korea

Jeju International Airport (RKPC/CJU)

🇰🇷

To another unmistakable Asian culture haven, South Korea. With music, food, architecture and history like none other South Korea really is a country everyone has to go to at least once in their lives.

11 Country and Territories Controlled, 252 Uncontrolled, 252 days to go

3 Likes

18 May 2021

Philippines

Subic Bay International Airport (RPLB/SFS)

🇵🇭

If you’re in need of a long vacation by the beach, the Philippines has got you covered. With over 7,000 islands, it’s one of the largest archipelagos in the world, with over 5,000 islands still remaining unnamed. Nonetheless, beaches should be common, and do consider this country as your next holiday destination.

12 Country and Territories Controlled, 251 Uncontrolled, 251 days to go

3 Likes

19 May 2021

France

Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (LFPG/CDG)

🇫🇷

There’s nothing quite like being in France. The Côte d’Azur is an absolute standout, and the scenery of the countryside is incredible to say the least. Top it off with a rich culinary scene, France is the perfect place to be.

13 Country and Territories Controlled, 250 Uncontrolled, 250 days to go

2 Likes