25AUG20 26AUG20 / All Day - Operation Floodgates - NORCAL / Colorado Fly-In/Out!

With the hundreds of wildfires in California and the several large wildfires in Colorado, it only seems right that we, as a community, come together to show our support the Infinite Flight way: a one-of-a-kind Western U.S. Fly-In/Out! Come join the efforts to control the many blazes raging across the Western U.S.!

This special two-day fly-in/out will be broken into two separate operations; Operation Poseidon and Operation Nimbus. Operation Poseidon will be centered around the California fires, aptly named for the God of the Seas, who resides just off of the California coast. Operation Nimbus will be centered around the Colorado fires, named aptly so for the well known height of the Mile-high city, the great heights that Nimbus clouds can reach, and their unique-ness to precipitate.

Terminology

Aerial firefighting is the use of aircraft and other aerial resources to combat wildfires. The types of aircraft used include fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters. Smokejumpers and rappellers are also classified as aerial firefighters, delivered to the fire by parachute from a variety of fixed-wing aircraft, or rappelling from helicopters. Chemicals used to fight fires may include water, water enhancers such as foams and gels, and specially formulated fire retardants such as Phos-Chek.

The idea of fighting forest fires from the air dates back at least as far as Friedrich Karl von Koenig-Warthausen’s observations on seeing a blaze when overflying the Santa Lucia Range, California, in 1929.

A wide variety of terminology has been used in the popular media for the aircraft (and methods) used in aerial firefighting. The terms airtanker or air tanker generally refer to fixed-wing aircraft based in the United States; “airtanker” is used in official documentation. The term “waterbomber” is used in some Canadian government documents for the same class of vehicles, though it sometimes has a connotation of amphibians.

Air attack is an industry term used for the actual application of aerial resources, both fixed-wing and rotorcraft, on a fire. Within the industry, though, “air attack” may also refer to the supervisor in the air (usually in a fixed-wing aircraft) who supervises the process of attacking the wildfire from the air, including fixed-wing airtankers, helicopters, and any other aviation resources assigned to the fire. The Air Tactical Group Supervisor (ATGS), often called “air attack,” is usually flying at an altitude above other resources assigned to the fire, often in a fixed-wing plane but occasionally (depending on assigned resources or the availability of qualified personnel) in a helicopter.

Depending on the size, location, and assessed potential of the wildfire, the “air attack” or ATGS person may be charged with initial attack (the first response of firefighting assets on fire suppression), or with extended attack, the ongoing response to and management of a major wildfire requiring additional resources including engines, ground crews, and other aviation personnel and aircraft needed to control the fire and establish control lines or firelines ahead of the wildfire.

Server: Any, with IFATC staffing the Expert Server
Follow ALL ATC commands when flying in active airspaces and respect both controllers and pilots. Any violations accrued are the sole responsibility of the pilot that accrued them

Airports, Locations, and ICAOs
  • Charles M Schulz - Sonoma County Airport (KSTS)
    Santa Rosa, California, USA

• Gnoss Field Airport (KDVO)
    Novato, California, USA

• Travis Air Force Base (KSUU)
    Fairfield, California, USA

• Fresno Yosemite International Airport (KFAT)
    Fresno, California, USA

• Chico Municipal Airport (KCIC)
    Chico, California, USA

• City of Colorado Springs Municipal Airport (KCOS)
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

• Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport (KBJC)
    Denver, Colorado, USA

Aircraft
  • McDonnell Douglas DC-10F (10 Air Tanker)
  • Lockheed Martin C-130J USCG (Air Tanker) / USAF Moody AFB (Cargo Transport routes)
  • Lockheed Martin C-130J-30 USAF Little Rock AFB (Cargo Transport routes)
  • Boeing C-17 Globemaster III (Cargo Transport routes)
  • Daher TBM-930 Black, Red, & White / Charcoal (spotting/ lead aircraft/ single-engine tanker)

Time: ATC Schedule • 24-30 August 2020

REMARKS

Waypoints/Fixes with (*) denote start and stopping points for each dump. Within each dumping run, FPL deviation is authorized. Due to the possible high traffic along these FPLs, it is requested that FPLs are ONLY deviated within these areas.

These flight plans are called Stop Drops, where you fly through the fires, dump, and proceed to the next. There are also Circle drops, which means you fly to the starting point of the fires (fixes) and you fly patterns around it, which would be either large 360’s or a series of 90 degree turns around the fire space. You may fly either within the denoted dropping points, however Circle drops are VFR and there is no FPL for those, so you would just go to the start of the Dump spot and do you circles/patterns around the zone.

NOTAMS

When dumping ordinance, ideal flight parameters are around 160-180KIAS and around 500ft AGL. When not dumping, flight parameters should not deviate below 220KIAS and 5,000-6,000ft AGL to keep conflicts to a minimum and air-ways moving.

Operation Poseidon

Tuesday 08/25/2020 06:00Z - Wednesday 08/26/2020 06:00Z

When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage,
give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.
Help me to embrace a little child before it’s too late,
or save an older person from the horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert to hear the weakest shout,
and quickly and efficiently to put the fire out.
I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me,
to guard my neighbor and protect his property.
And if according to your will I have to lose my life,
bless with your protecting hand my loving family from strife.
The Firefighter’s Prayer

NORCAL CALFIRE FPL #1

Aircraft Recommended: C130-J USCG or DC-10 Tanker.

• Departure ICAO: KSTS – Arrival ICAO: KDVO / KSTS

• KSTS
    • PIGPN
    • BGGLO* Start full dump
    • PYE (VOR)* Finish full dump
    • VPDBI
    • VPBBV
    • RETSO* Start full dump
    • GGUGL* Finish full Dump
    • VINCO
    • CATTY * Start full dump
    • VPBAB* Finish full dump
    • FREEM
    • KDVO Landing OR return to KSTS.
NORCAL CALFIRE FPL #2

Aircraft Recommended : C130-J USCG or DC-10 Tanker

• Departure ICAO: KSUU – Arrival ICAO: KSTS / KSUU

• KSUU
    • WIMBA
    • KEENR
    • KAESS* Start Full Dump
    • WNDML* Finish full dump
    • BORED
    • SCOPR* Partial dump
    • VPDLR* Full dump
    • RESTO* Finish full dump
    • VPBBV
    • VPBDI
    • PYE (VOR)* Start Full dump
    • LUSEE* Finish Full dump
    • VONXI * Start partial Dump
    • SGD27* Finish Partial Dump
    • SMIGY
    • OZCAJ
    • TIKOY
    • KSTS Land OR return to KSUU.
NORCAL CALFIRE FPL #3

Aircraft Recommended: C130-J USCG or DC-10 Tanker

• Departure ICAO: KFAT @ CalFire Hangers – Arrival ICAO: KCIC
    • KFAT
    • MORLA
    • ROOTH
    • OUCHH* Start Full Dump
    • KARNN* Finish Full Dump
    • STEEV
    • EVOCU
    • BDEGA
    • PYE (VOR)* Start Full Dump
    • QUINN* Finish Full Dump
    • Smiggy* Start Partial Dump
    • VACIA* Finish Partial Dump
    • Direct KCIC for Landing
Cargo- Firefighter Supplies FPL #4 & 5

WE NEED SUPPLIES! This route is meant for Colorado to supply NORCAL with supplies and for NORCAL to supply Colorado with supplies/equipment they may need.
This FPL will be the same both ways; If you are GOING TO KCOS, you will fly at an ODD altitude (35,000ft MSL) and if you are GOING TO KSUU, you will fly at an EVEN altitude (32,000ft MSL).

Aircraft Recommended:

• Lockheed Martin C-130J USAF Moody AFB (Cargo Transport routes)
Destination ICAO: KSUU FPL #4
  • KCOS
  • KUSAC
  • TEHEV
  • HBU (VOR)
  • NRADA
  • WOOOP
  • WARRM
  • GRAFT
  • PEONS
  • DOSCO
  • VOHBO
  • HOODI
  • KSUU
Destination ICAO: KCOS FPL #5
  • KSUU
  • HOODI
  • VOHBO
  • DOSCO
  • PEONS
  • GRAFT
  • WARRM
  • WOOOP
  • NRADA
  • HBU (VOR)
  • TEHEV
  • KUSAC
  • KCOS

Operation Nimbus

Wednesday 08/26/2020 06:00Z - Thursday 08/27/2020 06:00Z

I am proud to be a firefighter.
I revere that long line of expert firefighters who
by their devotion to duty and sacrifice of self,
have made it possible for me to be a member of a
service honored and respected, in good times and
bad, throughout the world.
I never, by word or deed, will bring reproach upon
the fair name of the fire service, nor permit others
to do so unchallenged.
I will cheerfully and willingly obey all lawful
orders.
I will always be on time to relieve,
and shall endeavor to do more,
rather than less, than my share.
I will always be at my station,
alert and attending to my duties.
I shall, so far as I am able,
bring to my seniors solutions, not problems.
I shall live joyously,
but always with due regard for the rights and
privileges of others.
I shall endeavor to be a model citizen in the
community in which I live.
I shall sell my life dearly to my enemy fire but give
it freely to rescue those in peril.
With God’s help,
I shall endeavor to be one of His noblest Works.
---- The Firefighter’s Creed

Grizzly Creek fire {TFR 0/5708} FPL #1

Aircraft Recommended: C130J or DC-10 Tanker

• Departure ICAO: KCOS – Arrival ICAO: KCOS

• KCOS
    • KAFF
    • BDIVN
    • BGDEE
    • KD57U
    • BULDG
    • VAILE
    • BEELO* Partial Dump
    • AWUDE* Full Dump
    • NEWCA* Finish Dump
    • NOVJO
    • TRUEL* Start Dump
    • KEEPP* Finish Dump
    • CROWS
    • TEHRU
    • HBU70
    • 7CO1
    • KCOS
Pine Gulch Fire {TFR 0/4859} FPL #2

• KCOS
    • KAFF
    • BDIVN
    • BDGEE
    • KD57U
    • BULDG
    • VAILE
    • BEELO
    • AWUDE
    • RIL (VOR)
    • TEKGU* Start Dump
    • RAYMN* Finish Dump
    • CARKU
    • JNC (VOR)
    • AYEDY
    • JETRY
    • PATUC* Partial Dump
    • AWRAW* Full Dump
    • ZALIS* Finish Dump
    • SPRKT
    • QNDRY
    • 2CO9
    • 7CO1
    • KCOS
Williams Fork Fire {TFR 0/4952} FPL #3

Aircraft Recommended: TBM-930

• Departure ICAO: KBJC – Arrival ICAO: KBJC
    • KBJC
    • TAVRN
    • TEEBO* Start Dump
    • RUBAY* Finish Dump
    • RLG (VOR)
    • RABET
    • KGNB
    • FOOOT
    • CO07
    • KBJC
Cameron Peak Fire {TFR 0/3117} FPL #4 & 5
KBJC Based FPL #4

Aircraft Recommended: TBM-930

• Departure ICAO: KBJC – Arrival ICAO: KBJC
    • KBJC
    • 05CO
    • SHICK
    • TROTO
    • LIBEL
    • FLATI* Start Dump
    • KD63U* Finish Dump
    • BROCC
    • FOLTO
    • SOYAR* Start Dump
    • FROGS* Finish Dump
    • LONGZ
    • CO07
    • KBJC
KCOS Based FPL #5

• KCOS
    • KAFF
    • BDIVN
    • TLRID
    • KBDU
    • 05CO
    • SHICK
    • TROTO
    • LIBEL
    • FLATI* Start Dump
    • KD63U* Finish Dump
    • BROCC
    • FOLTO
    • SOYAR* Start Dump
    • FROGS* Finish Dump
    • KGNB
    • PENEY
    • CONNR
    • SSKII
    • CABOB
    • KCOS
Cargo - Firefighter Supplies FPL #6

WE NEED SUPPLIES! This route is meant for Colorado to supply NORCAL with supplies and for NORCAL to supply Colorado with supplies/equipment they may need.
This FPL will be the same both ways; If you are GOING TO KCOS, you will fly at an ODD altitude (35,000ft MSL) and if you are GOING TO KSUU, you will fly at an EVEN altitude (32,000ft MSL).

Aircraft Recommended:

• Lockheed Martin C-130J USAF Moody AFB (Cargo Transport routes)
Destination ICAO: KSUU
  • Departure ICAO: KCOS – Arrival ICAO: KSUU
    • KCOS
    • KUSAC
    • TEHEV
    • HBU (VOR)
    • NRADA
    • WOOOP
    • WARRM
    • GRAFT
    • PEONS
    • DOSCO
    • VOHBO
    • HOODI
    • KSUU
Destination ICAO: KCOS
  • Departure ICAO: KSUU – Arrival ICAO: KCOS
    • KSUU
    • HOODI
    • VOHBO
    • DOSCO
    • PEONS
    • GRAFT
    • WARRM
    • WOOOP
    • NRADA
    • HBU (VOR)
    • TEHEV
    • KUSAC
    • KCOS

Special Thanks

• Thank you to @Tyler_Shelton for another great IFATC schedule!
  • Thanks to www.cofireaviation.com for providing a mock-up of some FPLs, which helped to create Operation Nimbus flight plans.
  • A HUUUGE shoutout to @CaptainLeo1 for creating and contributing Operation Poseidon to this one-of-a-kind fly-out!
  • Thank you to all IFC and IF Staff for continuing to work hard to make both our community and flight simulator great!
  • Thank you to all IFATC members, who continue to provide top-notch service all across the globe!
Credits
26 Likes

This is great bro, I had a so much fun making this with you! 🦋👑🤙

2 Likes

Nice. I’ll plan some free time to fly on the McDonnell Douglas DC-10F 😎

2 Likes

so can i fly in while this is happening? kcos

2 Likes

of course! Operation Floodgate has been constructed to work around commercial flights; instead of limiting the amount of traffic in any one area, it’s designed to help bring more traffic to every airport on the list!

1 Like

Best event I have ever seen!y😍

2 Likes

@MJP_27 thank you for the edit!

1 Like

No problem!

1 Like

You may want to update your topic depending on if you want to be realistic or not. 10 Tanker Air Carrier flies from Sacramento McClellan, San Bernardino, Santa Maria, and Castle airport strictly. Most, if not all, fixed-wing aircraft fighting the Bay Area LNU, SCU, and the CZU fires have been utilizing the McClellan, Ukiah, and Sonoma airports. Global 747-400 SuperTanker was even brought in to help from SoCals San Bernardino airport up to NorCal McClellan airport. Flew missions on the 20th through the 22nd.

1 Like

This is a realistic as we could get it considering the waypoints that we have in infinite flight and the fact that most of the airports that these aircrafts depart from say that the aircrafts are to big so we had to do some modifications. Also these FPLs were sent to me from one of my friends who is a Cal fire pilot and then I modified them slightly because we are in a simulator :). Hope you enjoy!

1 Like

Sorry to bother you but is 06:00z local time?

2 Likes

Not sure what you mean by “local time” but that was in zulu. But to make it easier. This event is from start of the day tuesday till the end of the day on wednesday :)

2 Likes

Utilizing McClellan (KMCC) would be as realistic as possible, speaking that it is the headquarters for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Aviation Management Program. You’re right though that the airport needs to be updated. No aircraft parking and missing taxiways makes it hard for it to be a featured airport. 10 Tanker Air Carrier 911 and 912 are deployed out of there currently as well as the Global SuperTanker GST944.

You don’t have to use waypoints by the way. You can always covert GPS coordinates into IF. I’ll PM you an actual realistic flight plan TNKR912 has been flying utilizing GPS coordinates.

2 Likes

okay sounds good, and yea that’s the hardest part to is that I would use KMCC but of course I can’t because in IF it’s only a 1 way runway with no taxiways or anything so that made it more challenging but I was able to use KSTS which is used quite frequently and KRDD is used to but its not updated in game so its missing taxiways and gates too.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I can speak for both of us, but I know I would be happy, within reason, to add another FPL Or two into Operation Floodgate As long as they aren’t too ridiculous ;)

2 Likes

I’ll send it over your way :)

1 Like

This is excellent. See you over the fire. Only the Brave.

2 Likes

Thanks, see ya in the skies :)

2 Likes

This is a great event! I’ll be in the skies tomorrow over the fires! Do we have to use the airports and FPL’s listed in the thread?

2 Likes

You are more than welcome to create your own FPLs! However, with the possibility of high traffic that may come over the fires, both in California and Colorado, it is highly requested that, at a minimum, you familiarize yourself with the FPLs, possible aircraft in the region, and flight parameters these aircraft will be utilizing to decrease as many air conflicts as possible.

Please try to, at least, create your custom FPLs in a way that merge smoothly and efficiently over Drop Zones to keep traffic flow efficient.

Happy flying, Good luck, and we can’t wait to see you out there!

2 Likes