24JAN22 / 0400Z - 263 Countries and Territories - One Final Session @ WBKW

The End to a Global Journey

A journey of 263 days, must eventually come to an end.
-LordWizrak

That was a quote that I made up literally five seconds ago, but one can only admire the wisdom that was put into it, that said, today is the day where we mark the end of a journey, 262 days in the making, as I control at one final airport.

This time, instead of controlling alone, something which I had gotten used to quite a lot, I’d like to invite all IFATC members and pilots to participate in this event, lasting for 12 hours, centred around the airport I call home.

Throughout the day, I will be controlling Ground, Tower and ATIS at my home airport of Tawau Airport (ICAO: WBKW, IATA: TWU), with IFATC controllers welcomed to pick any of the frequencies in the controller’s section below. Airports listed are all airports with flights operating in and out

About the event

Having spent the last 262 days controlling at a different country or territory in a bid to take advantage of the new controlling system that was implemented following the removal of the ATC schedule, I took it upon myself to showcase various countries around the world by visiting a country every day.

The journey ends on the 24th of January, 2022, which coincides with my first anniversary since joining IFATC.

Feel free to read more about the thread using the link below:

Tawau Airport

The airport at the centre of it all, Tawau Airport is my home airport, an airport where memories were made. Located on the south-eastern tip of Sabah, a Malaysian state on the island of Borneo, it’s easily one of the most beautiful places in the world, and a place that I wish everyone visits at least once.

The airport is relatively well connected for an airport of this size – with links to all other major cities in the state by road and by air, as well as the capital of the neighbouring state of Sarawak. It reaches will into Peninsular Malaysia, with a non-stop connection to the capital of Kuala Lumpur, as well as Johor Bharu, a major border city that lies directly north of Singapore.

While the airport was predominantly built with the intention of only having domestic traffic, growth in the region has led to flights starting to various neighbouring towns in neighbouring cities, with Bandar Seri Begawan in Brunei, and Tarakan in Indonesia being examples. Malaysia Airlines also utilises the airport on their way to Hong Kong, being a hub for fishing exports in the region, as Malaysia aims to capitalise on the growing demand for seafood in China.

Looking towards the event, I will be controlling at this airport for 12 hours on Ground, Tower and ATIS. Controllers eligible to control on radar frequencies are more than welcome to control with me during the event.

Feel free to read up more about the airport with the link below.

Other Event Airports

As previously mentioned, Tawau Airport is fairly well connected, with 4 airports in the immediate vicinity, and another 3 within a 3 hour flight. In descending order of passenger traffic, these airports are listed below and will be featured during the event.

Kuala Lumpur International Airport

Kuala Lumpur International Airport

(ICAO: WMKK, IATA: KUL)

The busiest airport in Malaysia, and the 23rd busiest airport in the world prior to the pandemic by total passenger traffic, Kuala Lumpur International Airport is a key hub in the region, also being the major hub to various airports in the region such as Malaysia Airlines, AirAsia, AirAsia X, Malindo Air, as well as other cargo airlines such as MASkargo, UPS Airlines and AsiaCargo Express.

You can find out more about the airport with the link below.

Kuala Lumpur International Airport - Wikipedia

Kota Kinabalu International Airport

Kota Kinabalu International Airport

(ICAO: WBKK, IATA: BKI)

With over 8 million passengers moved in 2017, this puts Kota Kinabalu comfortably in second place for the most number of passengers carried in Malaysia. It is a focus city for Malaysia Airlines, AirAsia and Malindo Air, as well as a hub of operations for MASwing, the Borneo division for flights to remote airports. It started in the late 1940s with services between Hong Kong and Labuan operated by Cathay Pacific and has since expanded to handle large jets such as the B747-400 which was deployed by Malaysia Airlines during key holiday seasons.

Kota Kinabalu International Airport - Wikipedia

Kuching International Airport

Kuching International Airport

(ICAO: WBGG, IATA: KCH)

A key hub for cargo operations on the island of Borneo, this airport is incredibly well connected to other airports in Asia, with airports such as Shanghai, Manila, Taipei and Hong Kong being a part of its portfolio. As well as that, it has served well as a base for charter operations, with AirAsia and Malaysia Airlines has made use of the airport due to its ample space for passenger and cargo expansions if required.

Kuching International Airport - Wikipedia

Juwata International Airport

Juwata International Airport

(ICAO: WAQQ, IATA: TRK)

The first of two international airports that have flights scheduled to Tawau, Tarakan is a key transit point for travellers between Indonesia and Brunei, Malaysia and the Philippines. It is also the airbase for the Indonesian Air Force, and was built with expansion in mind, given the airport has the capabilities to handle widebodies as large as the A330, even though only narrowbody jets and turboprop planes operate at present.

Juwata International Airport - Wikipedia

Senai International Airport

Senai International Airport

(ICAO: WMKJ, IATA: JHB)

Senai International Airport, built to serve Johor Bharu, the capital of the state of Johor, is located approximately 32 kilometres from the city centre of Johor Bharu, and is no further than 40 kilometres from the border to Singapore. It was frequently used as a training airport for Singapore Airlines, where their pilots have frequently brought in planes such as their A330, A350XWB, B777, B747 and A380 for training purposes. As well as that, it has a significant portion of the airport dedicated to the royal family of Johor, who owns a fleet of B737-800BBJ, Bombardier Global 6000, as well as a large fleet of helicopters.

Senai International Airport - Wikipedia

Brunei International Airport

Brunei International Airport

(ICAO: WBSB, IATA: BWN)

Brunei International Airport is the primary airport of the nation of Brunei, serving as the hub for Royal Brunei Airlines, while the Royal Brunei Air Force is located at the Rimba Air Base. Like many airports in the region, it was built by the Japanese Armed Forced during the Second World War, and served as a primary base of operations for the air force. At present, however, the airport has been used primarily for civilian transportation, although the Sultan of Brunei has its fleet of planes maintained at Brunei International Airport too.

Brunei International Airport - Wikipedia

Sandakan Airport

Sandakan Airport

(ICAO: WBKS, IATA: SDK)

Chosen to be an airfield during World War II, Sandakan Airport was set up in preparation of the Japanese Invasion of Borneo. Unfortunately, work was not completed by the time the invasion took place, and the Japanese took on responsibility for the airport, making it a refuelling spot before its fleet carried onto Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore once the Fall of Singapore had concluded. The airport was also in the vicinity of the site at which the Sandakan Death Marches took place, where various prisoners of war were evacuated prior to the end of the Second World War.

Sandakan Airport - Wikipedia

For Interested Controllers

Signing up for the event is incredibly easy, just leave your name, the airport you wish to control at, the frequencies you wish to control at, and the time slot which you wish to take. While this is not mandatory, it is highly recommended as it would aid with the coordination between controllers, as well as maintain a clear line of communication with other controllers.

To ensure as much flexibility as possible, slots will be allocated in 30-minute intervals. Controllers are encouraged to control for more than one interval and are welcome to control for as long as they wish within this window.

An example of how to sign up can be found below:

@LordWizrak
WBKW
Ground, Tower and ATIS
0400Z-1600Z

Tawau Airport (ICAO: WBKW, IATA: TWU)
Frequency Controller Time Slots
ATIS @LordWizrak 0400Z-1600Z
Ground @LordWizrak 0400Z-1600Z
Tower @LordWizrak 0400Z-1600Z
Approach
Kuala Lumpur International Airport (ICAO: WMKK, IATA: KUL)
ATIS
Ground
Tower
Approach
Departure
Kota Kinabalu International Airport (ICAO: WBKK, IATA: BKI)
ATIS @CompetitiveDivide320 0800Z-900Z
Ground @CompetitiveDivide320 0800Z-900Z
Tower @CompetitiveDivide320 0800Z-900Z
Approach
Kuching International Airport (ICAO: WBGG, IATA: KCH)
ATIS
Ground
Tower
Approach
Juwata International Airport (ICAO: WAQQ, IATA: TRK)
Tower
Approach
Senai International Airport (ICAO: WMKJ, IATA: JHB)
ATIS
Ground
Tower
Approach
Brunei International Airport (ICAO: WBSB, IATA: BWN)
ATIS
Ground
Tower
Approach
Sandakan Airport (ICAO: WBKS, IATA: SDK)
Ground
Tower
Kuala Lumpur FIR
Kuala Lumpur FIR
Singapore FIR
Singapore FIR
Kota Kinabalu FIR
Kota Kinabalu FIR
Ujung Pandang FIR
Ujung Pandang FIR

24 Likes

Recommended Routes

For those who may not be interested in controlling, here are some recommended routes.

Tawau - Kota Kinabalu

Tawau - Kota Kinabalu
WBKW - WBKK
30 minutes

Malaysia Airlines B737-800
AirAsia A320-200
Malindo Air B737-900

Published route:

WBKW AKDEM VJN WBKK

Tawau - Kuching

Tawau - Kuching
WBKW - WBGG
1 hour 15 minutes

AirAsia A320-200

Published route:

WBKW LATIL BBDRY BRU VMI SARVO PILAX WBGG

Tawau - Kuala Lumpur

Tawau - Kuala Lumpur
WBKW - WMKK
2 hours 30 minutes

AirAsia A320-200
Malindo Air B737-900

Published route:

WBKW LATIL BBDRY BRU OLKIT TERIX LUSMO ELGOR MABAL VISAT URIGO IDSEL VPK ISTAN WMKK

Tawau - Johor Bharu

Tawau - Johor Bharu
WBKW - WMKJ
2 hours 15 minutes

AirAsia A320-200

Published route:

WBKW LATIL BBDRY BRU BRU50 SAKMA DARMU KAMIN SABIP ESPIT OBLOT TOMAN HOSBA WMKJ

Kuala Lumpur - Kuching

Kuala Lumpur - Kuching
WMKK - WBGG
1 hour 30 minutes

Malaysia Airlines B777-200ER
Malaysia Airlines A350-900
AirAsia A320-200
Malindo Air B737-900

Published route:

WMKK ISTAN VPK IDSEL URIGO VISAT MABAL ELGOR LUSMO TERIX OLKIT DOGOG VIDIP WBKK

Kuala Lumpur - Kota Kinabalu

Kuala Lumpur - Kota Kinabalu
WMKK - WBKK
2 hours

Malaysia Airlines B777-200ER
Malaysia Airlines A350-900
Malaysia Airlines B747-400
AirAsia A320-200
Malindo Air B737-900

Published route:

WMKK ISTAN VPK IDSEL URIGO VISAT MABAL ELGOR LUSMO TERIX OLKIT DOGOG VIDIP WBKK

NOTAMS for Tawau Airport (WBKW/TWU)

As well as controlling at WBKW for the whole day, I will be enforcing strict realism, with aircraft size restrictions being strictly enforced with the use of reports.

No aircraft larger than the B737 family or the A320-200 will be permitted at the airport. This includes the B757-200 and A321-200.

7 Likes

Great timing! I would love to join

Wow Congratulations there @LordWizrak this is truly a great milestone for you. my question is how are you free for 12 hours on a MONDAY?!

By just being good at time management.

3 Likes

Cant complain. will stop by for sure

Congrats! Hopefully WBKW is packed (again!)! Feel free to put me wherever you like but if nowhere in mind:

@CompetitiveDivide320
WBKK
Ground, Tower and ATIS
0800Z-0900Z ++ if boomtown :D

:)

1 Like

Seeing Sean control, god bless us all.

3 Likes

Seeing you trying to deal with traffic after a year… /gets popcorn ;)

6 Likes

Heyyou @CompetitiveDivide320 :D

1 Like

Hey! Hope to see you on the WBKK to WBKW route :)

3 Likes

Hoping to set up a toll between WBKK and WBKW so that I can get some money :D

Not sure how the ATC staff and mods are going to like me poaching off pilots who are just trying to fly though.

2 Likes

Finished my flight from Tawau :)

1 Like

I want to thank @CompetitiveDivide320 for guiding me at WBKK 😄😄😄

And also, congrats to @LordWizrak for completing your hardwork 👏👏👏👏🎉🎉🎉

2 Likes

Congratulations @LordWizrak sadly I didn’t join as tiemzones are horrible

he’s open all day - for another 1.5 hours! Plenty of time to pop by from WBKK ;)

2 Likes

I got another flight going on hahahahha

1 Like

Thank you for allowing me to make a few passes!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.