23APR22 / all day - The Great Atlantic Crossing @ The Atlantic Ocean

The Great Atlantic Crossing

Introduction

On this flight we’ll be flying through some of the busy airspace systems: the Atlantic Ocean. Although I’ll be flying from Gatwick to Tampa, I encourage you to fly whatever transatlantic route you wish. This event will take place over the course of multiple hours, and so you can fly at a time that suits you.
ATC would be nice if anyone wants to do it. Center frequencies would be particularly nice. If any VAs want to get involved I’m open to that.

5 Facts You Might Not Have Known About The Atlantic Ocean (I wouldn't be surprised if most of you know these but it's the best I could do)

1. The Mid Atlantic Ridge (the Atlantic’s super-long underwater mountain range) is 4 times longer the Andies range in South America, making it the longest in the world. In fact, it can even be seen on satellite imagery.

Image Credit

2. In 1919, it was the first ocean to be crossed by an airplane — by Captain John Alcock and Lieutenant Arthur Whitten Brown. It was also first to be crossed by a ship much earlier. Later in 1927, Charles Lindbergh became the first to cross solo. And of course Amelia Earhart became the first woman to do so the year after.
Image Credit

3. The Atlantic Ocean is home to the second largest barrier reef in the world, the Cancun Reef off the coast of Mexico.
Image Credit

4. Creatures living in the Atlantic Ocean include the manatee, humpback whale, sea lion, starfish, catfish, Atlantic ghost crab, penguins, the green sea turtle, the grey Atlantic seal, various shark and other fish species, many of which are sadly endangered due to overfishing and pollution.

Image Credit

5. The fun names one which many of you will have realised — Greenland is icier than Iceland whilst Iceland is greener than Greenland! Greenland is a sight which many of us will be seeing on our way over the pond, and by the way is the largest island in the world.

Image Credit

NOTAMs

1. A quick reminder that since 2017, aircraft can plan any flight level in the North Atlantic Tracks HLA (high level airspace), with no need to follow ICAO standard cruising levels. In other words, you do not have to follow the semi-circular rule.
  2. All the same old stuff — expert server, be nice, be respectful, use UNICOM/ATC.
  3. I’ll post the North Atlantic Track message here on the day for anyone who wants it. It’s also easily available online with a quick google search when it is released on the day.
  4. Remember, you don’t have to use a NAT track. You can file a random routing where you file a route using GPS coordinates every 10 degrees of longitude.
  5. Have fun!
Want a route suggestion?

How about…

Departure Arrival Airline Aircraft Type Flight No. ATC Callsign
EGKK KMCO British Airways B777-200ER BA2037 BAW2037
EIDW KJFK Aer Lingus A330-300 EI105 EIN105
EDDM KORD Lufthansa A350-900 LH434 DLH2PX
EHAM TNCM KLM A330-200 KL730 KLM730
KIAD LFPG United Airlines B777-200ER UA915 UAL915
CYYZ LPPT TAP Air Portugal A330-900 TP260 TAP260
KBOS EKCH SAS A330-300 SK928 SAS928
2 Likes

Think I’m going to give this a small bump. Been a couple days.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Going to give this a bump before the event tomorrow :)