2022 Crew Room Stories

Wooo! Best of luck!

2 Likes

Entered this year a student pilot, and am exiting as a private pilot and so darn close to an instrument rating so that seems like a success to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Really would have loved to go for the double but the flight part of my checkride just wasn’t going to happen before I left school for winter break due to weather and tight scheduling. The oral and the sim went super well though so just the circling approach and unusual attitudes left to do when I get back. Hopefully an easy cleanup and I will start the 2023 list off well 🤞🏻

As for peaks and valleys passing the ppl checkride has to be the obvious one, but after that flying with my family was unforgettable not to mention some fun flights with friends. Instrument has been a fun journey too, part of me is bummed to have traded steep turns and stalls for foggles and standard rate turns, but in many ways it has felt like I am a a “real pilot” getting to file instrument flight plans and shoot approaches. Not to mention flying in clouds, entering clouds the first time will stick with me for a long time, not to mention the feeling of popping out the bottom to see the whole world open up in front of you. Lots of hard times mixed in though, weather, difficult content, maintenance, all sorts of stuff keeps you on your toes, certainly not all fun and games.

Next year we need to get that IR cleaned up then onto CPL, go for the double next year!

7 Likes

Interesting year for me. Lived in Richmond,Va for most of the year so didnt get to fly or pursue it. Moved back home to Arkansas in August after leaving my role with Allegiant. Started back flying and got a BFR done in October and started my insturment rating…again. Passed 400 hours flying time and got hired on with AAG in the same roll that i was in with Allegiant

I’ve had a small dip of the feet into aviation this year, and I’ll just go in chronological order

Firstly, on my trip to Poland in April, I got to know the lovely people who are in charge of LOT Flight Academy in Warsaw, Poland. From then on, I knew LFA was my place to go.

Over the summer, I picked up a job with Menzies Aviation as a Passenger Service Agent at O’Hare Airport. First I started at the bottom, being line control. It involved preparing passengers for check in, and directing them toward an open counter.

After a whole day doing line control, I was trained how to check passengers in, as well as what is needed to be checked and looked after while boarding.

About two weeks in to my job, I was trained as a Gate Lead. Gate Lead involves opening the gate, helping passengers who need assistance at the gate, communicate with TRC (Turnaround Coordinator) regarding boarding of passengers and crew, along with preparing most paperwork for the cabin crew.

A month in, I was trained how to do TRC myself. That made me very happy because it meant I could spend time on the plane and on the apron. TRC involved moving the jetbridge (@Declan we also used L2 and I was always stressing about hitting the engine), managing turnaround flow, coordinating with ground services to make sure all are accounted for, and simply getting the plane turned around for the return.

After about three months of working at Menzies, it was time for my move to Poland to begin flight school. Im currently still on my PPL phase, with 23 hours of flight time. Of that, 20 hours of Dual instruction time, and 3 hours solo.

I’ve loved every moment flying so far, and my job at the airport was stressful, but very fun.

Some pictures for those who care

11 Likes

That’s amazing mate. I’m glad someone can share the nerves of putting a jetbridge on L2.

Can’t wait to see what’s in store for you for 2023. Keep it up!

2 Likes

Glad I took the time to read that. Sounds like a fun job working as a gate agent!

Very cool and great photos! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Gate lead and/or BP (in polish “bardzo pomocny”, in English “very helpful”) was probably one of the less stressful jobs which we could do. Least stressful was arrivals, which I never did. Worst part of the role were announcements and inadmissables (if we had some). Announcements take a lot of stress because you don’t want to sound like an idiot on the PA system, and inadmissables were just annoying to deal with because they involved about 3 phone calls to the ticketing office and if applicable, the airline which brought them here

1 Like

I was less stressed moving it than being the person standing on the air stairs watching the engine clearance for some reason

I started a going to a civil air patrol camp in college park which is pretty cool, you don’t get to fly the planes, you get to experience it. It’s mostly air force type camp, but there’s no commitment 😮‍💨🤌

Your lucky to have a person on the air stairs watching it. We don’t, haha!

1 Like

Do you guys have wheel track cameras? Most of the jetbridges here had cameras where you can watch the wheel positioning. With the ones that don’t though, it was a matter of guessing how the wheel is facing

Happy that corporate flying is going so well for you, Matt! I got my private this year and thought I’d share a quick story from the checkride. My examiner drove down to my home airport (in the Bay Area) from Reno for another checkride in a warbird because he has the authorization to test in those. I was fortunate enough to piggyback on that checkride rather than flying an hour North to another airport.

The morning of, I get a call from the examiner. He was supposed to be meeting me by now, but was still in his hotel room looking for his car keys. After some time searching, he realized he had locked the keys in his car. He suggested we switch the mock cross country destination to Reno to go pick up his spare keys from his house. I had never flown over the Tahoe mountains before, but he assured me he would be in the plane and it would be a good learning experience. I drove to his hotel, picked him up, and we planned our new cross country. Off we went on an hour-long trip over Tahoe to Reno, in his friend’s car to the his home, keys obtained, back to the airport, tour of his hangar and T-28 Trojan, back home, the proper maneuvers done and checked off, and a temporary certificate printed just before sunset.

I was exhausted. What was meant to be no more than four hours turned into a whole day in which I learned a ton, not only from the last-minute trip change, but also my examiner’s years of wisdom from his experience as a military pilot, airline pilot, air traffic controller, and FAA-designated pilot examiner. Since then, I’ve had lots of fun exploring beautiful California by air and sharing flight with friends and family. Looking forward to 2023!

IMG_3792 2

5 Likes

Super cool topic, it’s been great reading some people’s responses! So far this year I’ve been through a lot of really exciting aviation journeys across a few countries that have been so much fun.

At the moment, I’m days away from joining the club of people to solo at 15 years old (Australia), and have progressed through my training in both the USA and Australia.

Some highlights that I’d like to share would be going to the NBAA Conference this year to see awesome new aircraft such as the Gulfstream G700 and Falcon 10x prototype. I’ve also been given the opportunity to visit Aspen (KASE) ATC Tower and learned many intricacies about their operations. I spent time visiting some aviation monuments that I’ve been eager to go to such as the airplane graveyard at Victorville, California.

I’m now nearly at the point of my RPL here in Australia and hope it’s the start of an exciting career, and I’ve been so thankful to go to some of these places. Goals for next year? Continuing to fly to more amazing places… and hopefully matching up to fly on the same plane as @DeerCrusher :)

6 Likes

Excellent stuff! 😎 Best of luck as you near the end of your training.

2 Likes

Great story Luca. Congrats on the new cert. Sounds like quite the adventure. Glad things ultimately worked out and offered a stellar view too! 😍

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.