2021/22 Development Roadmap

Blog article by Jason Rosewell

Blog

With the announcement of the A220 coming to Infinite Flight, our team took a step back to explore the how’s and why’s of our development roadmap. How we communicate that to you, the user, is one of our top priorities. This article aims to accomplish just that.

Read the full article →

FAQs & TL;DR

Courtesy of @Balloonchaser

When will the Airbus A220-300 update be?

The Airbus A220-300 is still in the development phase. The Infinite Flight Team will relay more information as work progresses on the aircraft.

Will the A220-100 variant be made as well?

The -100 variant will not be added since almost all operators of the -100 also have the -300 in their fleet. In addition, the -100 would require a new 3D model since the fuselage is shorter.

What other aircraft are currently in the timeline?

As work progresses on the Airbus A220-300, the Infinite Flight Team also feels the military fleet is in need of some love! The F/A-18 is an extremely popular fighter jet in Infinite Flight. With the abundance of data available, it makes it a great choice for an aircraft rework. Following the F/A-18 will be a member of the Embraer E-Jet family of aircraft. Exactly which variant the team builds will remain to be seen and could be decided by a community poll at the appropriate time.

Why not add every variant of the E-Jet Family?

Unlike the A330, each E-Jet variant is quite unique with variations in the cockpits and exterior models required. Work done for one cannot necessarily be applied to another. For this reason, the Infinite Flight Team will start with one variant and decide where to go from there.

Time to update the fleet! Decision-making process explained:

To begin with, the plan is to focus primarily on reworking existing aircraft in the Infinite Flight fleet for the foreseeable future. There are a ton of planes in Infinite Flight and as a result, many are not up to the standards users expect. Next, the team will select a category of aircraft such as GA, Military, Widebody Airliner, etc., and offer poll choices based on community feedback and the #features category to see which aircraft comes out on top for the rework.

There comes a point for each aircraft when they either need a rework or they need to be removed (either temporarily or permanently). This will very likely be the case for some of the fleet due to the resources required to maintain older aircraft as various rendering and game engine advancements are made during development. Unlike some games and simulators, there is only one version of Infinite Flight, as opposed to releasing new versions with better technology. Instead, the team is continually updating aircraft models to bring them up to standards, allowing all users to use the same app, all the time. the Infinite Flight Team will communicate which aircraft will be removed from the app when the time comes.

Project Metal

While all of this is going on, the development team is still hard at work bringing new and updated features expected in a flight simulator. With work continuing on Project Metal, things like better lighting, improved atmospherics, and more 3D objects are soon to be making their way into the simulator.

225 Likes

First! I win for once 😂

Nice thread Jason! Can’t wait for the future!

40 Likes

Idk about y’all, but that EJet tho… 😍

42 Likes

WHAT? An F-18? @DeltaMD88Fan you know what’s gonna happen

17 Likes

Looking forward to the 220’s release

Also hoping for the E175 to be selected, but I could go with any of them!

11 Likes

Oooo an E-jet after all of this? I wonder what one!

7 Likes

F/A 18 Rework 😍 Can’t wait for this!

24 Likes

Concorde! So excited for this 😍

24 Likes

OHHHH yes! Now this is looking good for the future.

A220 then F/A18 then E-Jet

I’m in heaven

10 Likes

Looks like it’s up to the community later on!

7 Likes

Ooooo
F - 18 rework after the A220 then E Jets? Say less!

5 Likes

Just to clarify, “EJet” being singular. But yes. Exciting!

6 Likes

No way!! Merry Christmas Jason!

7 Likes

I don’t see Concorde in the article…

2 Likes

yes yes ofc lol

3 Likes

Looks Great! Cant wait to see the A-380 re-work one day…

7 Likes

He meant the f - 18 cause it’s really fast.

2 Likes

Obviously not only great news as a full selection of different types always is great for realism, but nonetheless fantastic to hear about the prospects of a new/remodelled E-Jet!
What is even more important here is that you actively communicate the (very well understandable) reasoning behind your decisions, which is, at least from my side, extremely appreciated!
Thank you very much everyone, for the article and also the enormous work involved in the development and the other tasks!

5 Likes

I’m sure that’ll come…

4 Likes

Nice FAQ ! With exciting news !
I saw F/A-18 <3

3 Likes