2017 Aerosols Simulation

This thread is what I would consider borderline to fit into this topic but because it’s NASA related, and the information that is presented here is derived from NASA, I think it’ll fit nicely into this category.

A few days ago NASA Goddard posted a video on YouTube called 2017 Hurricanes and Aerosols Simulation. (👈🏼Click the hyperlink for a direct link to the video). Its a short 2 minute video covering the hurricanes of 2017 that kept the Caribbean Islands and the Gulf of Mexico busy during the hurricane season. The simulation is quite interesting in that it shows the particles for Dust, Smoke, and Sea Salt (Ocean Spray/Vapor). It really gives you, the viewer, a better understanding and idea of how these hurricanes formed, and the tracks that they followed.

Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, which made landfall in the US, and Ophelia which made its way over to Europe. Below is a link to NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center website. They have some interesting articles and videos that explain things that you normally wouldn’t see on the news, other aviation websites, or whatever it is you gain your reading material from.

As a pilot, this simulation gave me a better perspective on how busy the Atlantic was this year. The fronts, and wind patterns are easily detectable from the short video. I think if NASA were more consistent, and we were able to produce videos like this of our weather patterns available to the public, we the public, would have a better understanding of our weather patterns. There is a phrase widely used in the aviation industry and it goes something like this, “A good pilot, never stops learning”. Why can’t we apply this same principle to the general public, as a matter of fact, why does this phrase just have to pertain to a pilot. What if we substitute the “pilot” for any other occupation. The more we know and understand about our weather systems, even if you aren’t a meteorologist or pilot, the better you are knowing and having the extra knowledge than the person next to you.

Enough with my little preaching moment. 😉

6 Likes

As both an aviation and meteorology enthusiast myself this should be an interesting watch!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.