1hr Short On Fuel across the Pacific

So, I’m in a B789 across the pacific and I really don’t want to and cant divert. What is the most optimal way to save fuel for this plane. I am 1 Hour short, that’s a fair bit. Any help would be great!

1 Like

Where are you exactly?

Almost halfway between NZ and Chile

2 Likes

Look for the nearest airport, a runway of 5000ft may be enough if you cook the brakes

1 Like

To try and save fuel, climb to a higher altitude and try to make a turn into a tailwind.

7 Likes

Just some food for thought for future reference;)

3 Likes

Climbing causes fuel to burn quicker whilst climbing.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll try higher, thanks!

EDIT: @bensonb ok, maybe if I climb at 100fpm

1 Like

Continue in AKC Pm @Aussie_Wombat try and find you a suitable area to put the plane down

1 Like

Whilst climbing, yes, but it certainly decreases fuel consumption

It would probably be better to maintain current altitude then climbing.

If you absolutely need more fuel, then probably stop in Papeete or Rarotonga. These places are your best bet.

2 Likes

Best option, going to NZIR. Antarctica ditch is possible but not advisable due to it being, uh, unprofessional

Note to everyone else attempting this route, make sure you have fuel, there is legit nowhere to go. It isn’t like a YSSY to KLAX flight where you have Fiji, Hawaii and multiple other large islands

1 Like

Where is “NZ”? Is that Antarctica? Also, what altitude are you at?

1 Like

Sorry, stands for New Zealand

1 Like

NZ = New Zealand, and no, even though its close to Antarctica its not

Thanks to @bensonb, I descended FL300 and caught the great tailwinds, thanks @bensonb

1 Like

Fly to atuona or papeete. Then refuel, these islands are in the middle of the Pacific ocean

1 Like

You could try Easter Island. You would probably make it there with just enough fuel.

Oh yeah! You’re actually right, possibly.

2 Likes