19.4 Instrument Landing System

So I don’t know if it’s just me being dumb but using the HUD there isn’t the same style of ILS in 19.4 since I last played. I just landed at EGCC and there was no vertical ILS I was too high on approach. Could someone explain the new design to me please
Cheers

2 Likes

So to engage ils, you need to press on the airport which you want to land at. The localizer cone HAS to be red for you to be able to engage with the ILS. So once you have pressed on the airport, go to runways and press nav1 (nav 2 whichever doesn’t matter.) Now you should be engaged. If you are on source GPS NAV then you will keep following a flight plan without any deviation. However, if you are on Source NAV1 and at a 30 degree angle or less to the runway, your aircraft will line up with the localizer automatically. If you are just flying VFR (no autopilot) and you want to tune into the ILS, you just have to do the first step. I recommend flying around in solo mode and practising a bit to get used to the new system:)

2 Likes

Check this out, it’ll help:

Okay thanks guys. Just did my first a350 long haul and got to landing and didn’t realise until it was too late. Kinda seems like the old system was simpler and easier but I guess this is more realistic.

6 Likes

Well actually, only NAV 1 can be set to an ILS frequency.

Both NAV 1 and NAV 2 can be used to tune into VOR frequencies.

What i used to do previously is to create a flight plan with waypoints that align me directly to runway, then choose the runway from the bottom right after long pressing on an airport’s name… Now if I didn’t assign a NAV to an ILS; can i still using the APPR mode or the approach will be turned to be visual in this case?! And if i did assign an ILS to NAV; would that make the aircraft to disregard The waypoints and turn directly into final?!
Would appreciate a help cause in my last flight i ended up too high on the approach…

If you want to use APPR you have to be tuned into a NAV ILS. Otherwise it will be visual. Your aircraft will only disregard the waypoints if you aren’t in SOURCE GPS. If you stay in SOURCE GPS than you shouldn’t encounter any issues. NAV 1 is only for VOR/NDB navigation which isn’t common in jet aircraft anymore:)

Thanks for helping… Now if my aircraft is following a flight plan that already would fly me to the runway directly; and i’m already aligned with the runway and i can see it; do i need to switch to NAV1 to activate the APPR mode? Because in my flight yesterday i was aligned with the runway but the APPR mode was not available…

1 Like

Yes. You always need to be in NAV1 for appr

1 Like

I have to try this in solo in order to better understand it and implement it correctly… Thank you so much for helping… Fly safe😉👍

1 Like

You too mate

1 Like

That is not the case.
APPR does also work when you’re still tuned to GPS.

1 Like

Oh does it?!! I’ll try it out. I Don’t use APPr anyways

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.