180 Pushback Question

Hello. I have a question.

Usually, when I pushback, the tug pushes the aircraft down the gate taxi centerline and then do some sort of a turn into a larger taxiway. Not all pushback executions are done the same but usually that’s the logic they follow.

In my case, I’m in a gate that doesn’t feed into any taxiway; it is part of the taxiway instead. More specifically, there is no other taxiway until all the way down the end, and on the right side of the plane, there are other gates, which I don’t believe I should enter, while on the left, the apron ends. Am I supposed to 180 the plane, do a 90 on either the other gates or the area on the right, or take it all the way down to the end of the taxiway?

The gate in question is Terminal 1 Gate B9 in Los Angeles International Airport (LAX/KLAX).

If you need any additional information, please let me know!

1 Like

In some situations it is common for aircraft to be pushed all the way back to the taxiway, I am not sure how much it is done at LAX but I have seen at done at Sydney a few times when I tune into livestreams from spotters.

1 Like

You pushback all the way to the runway at LAX. 180s risk collision with other aircraft parked in the area

2 Likes

So, I just take it all the way down? I’m now on final on San Francisco (I departed 55 minutes ago), but it was a long way to take it all the way down, like a solid 70 seconds-and no, this is only in one gate in the airport, the gate in question is the first gate of the entire airport and is remote.

Yes. When you drive towards the terminals to pick/drop someone up, you pass that gate. You do take it all the way down, same thing with other gates in the area (Gate 11, 13). This also applies to other inner-most gates on every other terminal*

1 Like

Alright, so, you take it all the way down the taxiway until there is space to get on a different taxiway and taxi to runway. The other gates (Terminal 1 Gate 11A, Gate 11B, Gate 13, and Gate 15) though don’t have the problem Gate 9 has. They can just make a 90 on the feeder taxiway and continue with their taxi; that’s the issue with Gate 9, that, Gate 9 is on the feeder taxiway itself, not on a gate stand, which means there is nowhere to go.

What I meant for 11 is that due to the limited space, when the plane pushes back, it risks collision with the Gate 9 aircraft, which means they have to push all the way back, but this is exempt if there is no plane at Gate 9. I’ve observed this on the little joyrides I do toward the terminal areas.

1 Like

Looking at the replay, you’re right, there’s almost no clearance, which is why I’d guess that if immediate spacing took effect, a plane couldn’t invade Gate 9 space. All the scheduled aircraft in these gates are Boeing 737s, since Southwest is the terminal’s only operator. It is possible that Gate 11A aircraft could push directly back, and then make a 90 to go on with their taxi, or do a 270 (make a slight left then a 180 once sufficient clearance is reached) because I just saw that from initial start of movement to end of pushback it did take me a solid five minutes.

It could be possible, but there is a large tall barrier in the way blocking the roads from the airfield property

1 Like

Push straight back parallel to the centerline and slightly to the left of it (maybe have the #1 engine over the centerline), then do the 180 when you’re a gate or two up from where you started. Source: former LAX ramp agent

1 Like

How can Engine #1 be over the centerline if you are left from it?

1 Like

If you’re facing the plane from the front (the way a pushback driver would), the #1 is the engine on your right. If the centerline is under that engine, the fuselage and all of the wheels will be to the left of the centerline.

1 Like

We have set disconnect points at YSSY. Nearly all gates require us to tow forward, sometimes atc will have us tow onto a certain taxiway… or as you have correctly seen we will push all the way out of the apron to the taxiway.

2 Likes

Okay, that is very interesting, forgot we have people on here who work the ground crew jobs here haha. Thank you for expanding, I was not actually aware of the specific disconnect points!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.