180 knots till 10NM, 160 knots till 5NM.

A simply seperation tool used in real life which would be amazing to have available for the approach contoller. This could be a standard message which gives 2 commands in one, most or all major airports around the world use this to maintain a seperation between airplanes when in final approach and landing.

180 knots till 10NM, 160 knots till 5NM.

When passing the 5NM distance you then reduce to your landing speed.

If you read this as pilot on the expert server, you can start using this already yourself without atc instructions.

How would the controller initiate the command? Would it be included in each clearance automatically?

No, at any point (mainly within 15-18) NM from the airport on final this would be used but it depends on the speed of the pilot as some people maintain 250 knots until 5NM it seems like.

I was thinking there could be a fixed speed control command for this so its just a simple click and then it would stick on the most used atc command strip.

4 Likes

Nice, I like it. You got my vote. :)

4 Likes

I’d like it, as it could prevent those who fly 200kt finals.

3 Likes

I like this, it would be helpful.

1 Like

What about those fighter jets landing at 170kts?

1 Like

Or attempting at 500…

1 Like

I don’t know anything about fighter jets, this is mainly for airliners.

3 Likes

A rule would have to apply for every one

2 Likes

So for them don’t use the instruction, same goes for GA.

2 Likes

Really good idea, definitely would help the tower keep the planes at a good distance and not have to worry about as many go-arounds!

One of the biggest problems as an approach controller is that pilots will use wildly different speeds compared to planes around them. This would be a a great way to standardize speeds between aircraft during the approach, including TBMs, Dash 8s, and turbojets. No more planes flying final at 120 knots from 10 miles out!

Oh oops this whole time I would reduce to 160 knots 8 miles out and 180 knots 12 miles out. Now I know I can increase speed. I am always cautious especially in the CRJ aircraft.

1 Like

This is a most excellent idea!

The average at KBOS and a lot of other airports I listen to (FLL/JFK/LAX) is 170kt OR GREATER til the marker or final waypoint (usually 6-7 miles out)

Frequently it’s like below:
Downwind vector: IF1234 Headiing XXX speed 210”
Base vector: “IF1234 turn right heading 280, 190 on the speed now please”
then
Cleared for approach:

“Infinite Flight 1234 you’re 5 miles from NABBO, turn right heading 010, maintain 3000’ cleared the ILS RWY04R approach, maintain 170 knots OR GREATER to MILTT”

Some pics below show a jetBlue flight on the approximate vectors-slowing down to 210 on the downwind (kept speed on base) and then 170 or greater til MILTT-FR24 doesn’t show MILTT so I drew it in for visualization. I’ve also attached the approach plate.

image image

Here’s a pic/YT link of Kennedy approach asking for not less than 170kt til 5nm final

It’s about 8:10 into the video.
This really should be in there so controllers have a few more options with the sequencing speeds!

4 Likes

I’d like to see this, creating more and more realism in the game which is always good.

1 Like

It wouldn’t only add realism, but this would also have a lot of practical uses reducing the amount of commands sent. I thought of this request when I was open today.

4 Likes

I had seen this feature before, but I honestly didn’t remember her. It’s time to put it into practice!

True story. In addition, I think this speed command should probably have a speed range option of between 210 down to 160 or so that pops up for the controllers

With the introduction of STAR’s, this would be very useful for approach controllers to ensure spacing even more!

I’ve noticed that many people disregard the “adjust speed to follow aircraft ahead” command. This is way better and more specific!

5 Likes