175 kts Tailwind--Too Dangerous?

Flying from RJTT (Tokyo) to RJCC (Sapporo) with a 175kts tailwind @ 35000ft in Cessna Citation X 409kts GS , 176kts IAS.
Too dangerous in real life?

2 Likes

Yes, I would say if this was real life, it’s too dangerous.

4 Likes

Why are you going so slow with a 175 kt tailwiand?

4 Likes

It’s rocking and rolling :)

1 Like

Also, N1 is at 91% don’t want to go over 100%

1 Like

You won’t go over 100% if you have 170 knots tailwind. If I were you I would accelerate to the mid M.80s and take full advantage of it.

4 Likes

Thanks, Cruise speed is 527ktsGS @35000ft.
Finishing around the world short hops in Citation X. Next stop Vladivostok, eventually KSFO.

1 Like

If you want to take advantage of the tailwind, use simbrief!

Or windy.com. I use it for all of my flights

2 Likes

This is not dangerous to be in this high of winds as long as there is not any bad turbulence I have been in higher winds IRL.

2 Likes

As long as you keep a regular Mach speed, you should be good.

1 Like

This topic has me confused…You have 175kts tailwind in the title but you have 176kts IAS in the body of your topic. Tailwind speed and IAS are to different things. Any pilot on here that flies IRL would love a 175kt tailwind. So to answer your question, it is NOT dangerous. That is where the jet stream is and the winds are usually stronger there. The dangerous part is flying at 176 kts IAS. Hope this helps

3 Likes

I think yes it’s a bit too much tailwind, I mean it’s a good thing to have tailwinds but 170+ knots are just too much. And also the Japaness region is known for strong winds as I experienced a 150+ knots tailwind when I flew in a B788 from China to Narita

1 Like

I;m just saying. A tailwind of that strength is a pilots blessing in the real world. It is not dangerous at all. Some tailwinds can exceed 200 kts

2 Likes

Do you know how strong the tailwinds were on the B772LR record flight in 2005?

I have seen them as strong as 200 knots over the Atlantic.

1 Like

Please, lets not start a debate about tailwinds. In general, this heavy of a tailwind is not terrible. Average tailwinds are in the 170s to 200s.

1 Like

I was flying from EWR to SFO today and I experienced 100+ knots of direct headwind meaning if you were flying East bound then you’d get tailwinds

Nobody is starting a debate. I am just using factoids I know from the real world to help people out

2 Likes

I look at Windy.com almost every day. You see 150-200 knot winds across the Atlantic and when you go on flightaware you see the majority of flights right in that wind.
Wind is not dangerous, as long as you are maintaining a safe airspeed you are fine.
If they are dangerous why would you see airlines putting multi-million dollar machines and hundreds of lives at stake by flying in the worst of em?

3 Likes